J3 headphone out vs line out
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kokushu

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if somebody could help me out.  I currently have the setup of woo 6 to hd 800.  I normally use it on my computer but thinking of transfering this to the bedroom.  I want to use the j3 as the source since i could have it right next to my bed.  Problem is the j3 does not have a dedicated line out only a headphone out.  So basically i will be connecting j3 to woo6 by it headphone jack. Now is this going to degrade the sound quality compare to a source with a dedicate line out (eg. 5.5 ipod classic).  If i could get a dac (eg dacmagic, mf m1, or yulong d100) and connect my j3 to it would that help?  Also to those who have lcd2 how it perform on j3 unamped.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Feb 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 5
the line out of Cowon J3 sounds nearly identical to the headphone out , i think its not worth.
btw, why you want to buy DAC ? you cannot connect DAC directly to your Cowon J3, Line-out doesnt mean you bypass internal DAC 

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Okay so i guess i could conclude that the j3 HO is as good as most portable player LO.  So i guess running j3 HO to my amp is good enough for right now.  I thought that I could run the j3 to a dac but I would probably buy it to use with a sacd player or somethin.  Thank you daanish and tumiwa for your help.  If anyone know about the j3 and lcd2 together that would be great.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 5
connecting the j3 to a dac is not a good thing, i mean you get nothing better than original... connecting it's headphone out as a line out is good, and has appropiate responses.....
try, and remember that cowon j3 already has a dac in it....
you need an amp for 800 ohm headphones.... that nobody can change, but if you connect the ho as lo is the same... for j3.....
j3 and lcd2.... not any ideea.. sorry....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back