I've managed to find Sennheiser HD518s for $107AUD shipped, help.
Oct 25, 2012 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dabboo

New Head-Fier
I'm entirely new to the headphone/audiophile area but I've been doing some research on headphones and I've found the Sennheiser HD518s for $107AUD shipped.

I'll mainly be using these for PC gaming (FPS games), music (dubstep/house/rock/indie) and the occasional movie or tv show.

Are these a good deal? I've heard a lot of people saying that it's a better move to go straight to the HD558s but in this case they are $100 more than the 518s.

I've never owned any high end audiophile headphones before (if you can call the 518s audiophile?) and I'm currently using the Turtle beach X11s, please don't burn me at the stake for this. :)

Also, would I see much of an advantage from getting a DAC/amp? I've been looking at the FiiO E10 to power the HD518s at some point in the future.

What do you guys think? Are these the way to go?

Dave.

EDIT: If you can think of any other headphones better for this purpose that are $100-$150AUD from an Aussie retailer that would help me so much, thanks!

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 2
It's going to be hard finding something else with the comfort, build quality and sound of the HD518 at that price. My first ever pair of over ears were HD515's and at the time I thought they were amazing... of course it's a slippery slope. I never tried mine with a dedicated amp or DAC so I'm not sure how much difference they will provide. A good place to start though is using the best quality files possible. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back