I've had enough low end cans.
Jul 26, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI a $600 Dac + Amp + Can will blow away any $600 ampless headphone, you shouldn't be blowing your entire wad on ear speakers when your best-bang-for-buck will come from a little system upgrade.

I'm aware of this and the Royal was my upgrade, which I thought was pretty good. Been with PA2V2 for three years.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR225s bass is much better than the SR60...If you want more you could try the SR325i. Get a decent tube amp - little dot MK 3 or thereabouts.

I like this idea.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by akg702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH D7000 for $550, it sounds amazing even without amp out of the ipod or computer. The Denon has amazing detail and bass plus comfort.

the d-2000 was at the top of my list. supposedly more up front than the 5000. not sure where the 7000 stands.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That depends on people. I would definitely spend some money towards DAC but I prefer headphones like AD2000/AD900 without expensive amp to the less expensive headphones + amp. For example, D2000 (stock) + Cantate.2 didn't blow away AD2000 or W5000 without proper amplification. But of course, AD2000 and W5000 sounds much much better with desk amp.

D2000 is one of those cans that will work with little amplification but greatly improves the better the Amp/DAC so I can see why. I haven't heard the AD2000 however it is on my list, maybe it is exceptional without amplification but like you say it improves with one. I think the OP would do better to upgrade his Penguin amp with a desktop amp/DAC and then atleast every headphones he hears from hereon out will sound very close to there best.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

D2000 is one of those cans that will work with little amplification but greatly improves the better the Amp/DAC so I can see why. I haven't heard the AD2000 however it is on my list, maybe it is exceptional without amplification but like you say it improves with one. I think the OP would do better to upgrade his Penguin amp with a desktop amp/DAC and then atleast every headphones he hears from hereon out will sound very close to there best.

Right, I agree with most of your comments including the one that OP should upgrade the amp. However, I was just commenting on your statement that any $600 amp/dac/headphone combo will blow away any high-end headphone (close to $600 I am guessing) without desktop amp. To me it isn't clearly the case and wanted to say that it all depends on preference and not always true. I agree that your example would sound better in most cases though.

EDIT: Sorry about sort of off-topic comments.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoginasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss ESP-950 could be had for about $400 if you score a used one.Nothing can touch for that price.

i was just going to say that. granted if you search esp 950's, they don't move too many pairs on the FS section here.

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some praise and some complaints.

SR60 have great energy but not enough bass.
ES7 sound good but comfort is a problem.
HD485 are comfy with big bass but it swallows the treble.
PortaPro (probably my favorite flavor) need precision. All of 'em do, really.

I have a couple cans in mind but I'm just gonna leave this completely open to suggestion first. I'd like to keep it under $300 but if the solution is really perfect I'll go to $500. No IEM's. These will be heard out of a CD player line out (Panasonic, Aiwa, or iRiver) to a Penguin Royal. My favorite albums are Crystal Planet, And Justice For All, Use Your Illusion 1&2, and Youthanasia.

Thoughts on a speedy, precise headphone with big, crisp, thumpy bass and full mids and treble?

Ultrasone HFI-780:

- Big, crispy, thumpy bass: Check!
- Full mids: Not as sweet as Audio Technica mids, but my AT cans suffer from lack of bass punchiness even when amped (ESW9, AD2000), which is a fatal fail for me. Still, the mids of my 780s are far more than enjoyable;
- Full treble: Check!
- Sound great, even unamped: Check!
- Under $300: Check! You can find them at eBay under $250 (under $200 from some sellers).

L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone HFI-780:

- Big, crispy, thumpy bass: Check!
- Full mids: Not as sweet as Audio Technica mids, but my AT cans suffer from lack of bass punchiness even when amped (ESW9, AD2000), which is a fatal fail for me. Still, the mids of my 780s are far more than enjoyable;
- Full treble: Check!
- Sound great, even unamped: Check!
- Under $300: Check! You can find them at eBay under $250 (under $200 from some sellers).

L3000.gif

just did a quick search and these just shot to the top of the list. looks like a great option, thanks.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

you shouldn't be blowing your entire wad on ear speakers

:facepalm:

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #26 of 36
I would spend most of your money on headphones, as these will bring the biggest improvement in sound. Your amp, source etc all come later. Higher price does not necessarily equal better sound, but most flagship phones are pricey.

With that said, I have stopped buying low end headphones too. There are some definite exceptions with great sound (sr60, ne7m, ksc75) but the majority will disappoint.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 36
The problem with headphones is that under around $300 (including headphones and amp), Koss/PX100 are actually the most neutral headphones you can buy. Under a certain price, other headphones can do great soundstage, or great bass or great midrange, etc, etc, but none of them can do it all. You have to spend at least $300 (in my experience) to get a true upgrade from Koss/PX100.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with headphones is that under around $300 (including headphones and amp), Koss/PX100 are actually the most neutral headphones you can buy. Under a certain price, other headphones can do great soundstage, or great bass or great midrange, etc, etc, but none of them can do it all. You have to spend at least $300 (in my experience) to get a true upgrade from Koss/PX100.

this was basically the impression i had. i wasn't buying lower end headphones because i wasn't willing to pay for better stuff. they just made me happy at the time. i only recently got the hd485 and es7 and between those, my old sr60, porta pro, and px100, i just realized a deficiency that became irritating.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #30 of 36
Congrat! I didn't find them very comfortable but many people think they are. Hope you like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back