I've got my Senn HD650s, but there must be something wrong
Mar 28, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg166 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a pair of HD650 headphones in the mail tomorrow.

Is my current powerful enough to drive this beast? The amp works fine with my HD595 headphones.

Sure. A Sony AV receiver will drive pretty much any headphone. However, two things to keep in mind:

a) You usually have to change your surround settings to plain old two channel stereo. If you listen to phones with the typical Dolby Pro Logic settings (and no center channel or surrounds), it will sound like ka-ka.

b) The padding resistors used to reduce the voltage from the speaker outputs to drive the headphones will have a significant impact on freq response...usually adding a ton of bass to headphones.

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b) The padding resistors used to reduce the voltage from the speaker outputs to drive the headphones will have a significant impact on freq response...usually adding a ton of bass to headphones.

so that's why i love listening from my reciever!!!!
basshead.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #49 of 62
You don't need an expensive amp to open up HD650, just the right amp.

My cMOY drives them beautifully and only cost 60$ and yes I have done comparisons with a 300+ dollar amps.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need an expensive amp to open up HD650, just the right amp.

My cMOY drives them beautifully and only cost 60$ and yes I have done comparisons with a 300+ dollar amps.

Can you name a few expensive amps that you used with the HD-650's in comparision to your cMOY amp?

The reason I am asking because I am thinking of upgrading from my current amps: CMOY, PAPV2, Denon AVR-683 receiver to a Heed CanAMP or Musical Fidelity X-Can V3. If there is not a significant difference then I will hold off on the upgrade.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you name a few expensive amps that you used with the HD-650's in comparision to your cMOY amp?

The reason I am asking because I am thinking of upgrading from my current amps: CMOY, PAPV2, Denon AVR-683 receiver to a Heed CanAMP or Musical Fidelity X-Can V3. If there is not a significant difference then I will hold off on the upgrade.

I can assure you there is a significant
600smile.gif
difference between a PA2V2 and MF X-can v3.

Mar 28, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We noticed that the 595 and the 650 had slightly different sound characteristics, 595 had slightly more bass, the 650 more treble.

It absolutely is the other way around when using a good amp to power them, but without a good amp/source the bass can totaly dissapear. I noticed this when i tested the 650 with a pro-ject mkII at a store, they where bright harsh and unpleasent to listen to (yes the HD650!). Now when my X-can is burned in they are truly amazing and my 595 doesn't get much time anymore. The bass! the soundstage! the clarity! the PRAT! the voices!! OMG!

I also thought they where boring at first (about a week ago).
It might even be my ears that have learned to appreciate the 650, but also my 595 sounds alot better from the x-can now so I think it's the amp burn in that has most to do with it.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #54 of 62
OP, get a DIY Amp for your HD650s. An amp really makes a difference.

Reasons why i suggested DIY amps, they are cheaper, and to some extent, better than alot of commercial amps at the same price.

My suggestion for the amp would be a PPA v2 without a gain stage. Diamond buffers, 0 feedback for the win!

EDIT:
I should perhaps add this. The HD650 is sometimes relatively boring when compared to other cans like for instance the Grados, Beyers or K701. To be honest, the main reason i got the HD650 was because of the "boringness" signature. It's warm lush sound makes my listening so much more comfortable and less fatigue. The fidelity when paired with a decent amp is really amazing too.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #57 of 62
I have the EMU 0404 USB with the HD580s and MS2i and it drives both just fine for me, although I rarely go past halfway on the volume with either. That said, I only listen to the HD580s when sleeping
lambda.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a few people say they really like 650's with EMU 0404 USB soundcard, has ClassA headphone amp built in. I have this soundcard but my HP are 595 and not 650.

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Onkyo does great with both high impedance cans like my 300 ohm HD600s and also does a great job with my 32 ohm MS2i. .
frown.gif

Hey - I'm curious to know what model Onkyo reciever you have. I have the TX-8511 (100 watt), and it matches up well with my HD580s.

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by alrose312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey - I'm curious to know what model Onkyo reciever you have. I have the TX-8511 (100 watt), and it matches up well with my HD580s.

It's a TX-DS494. Not a bad little unit at all!

Sat it aside when we moved into a larger house cause it wouldn't drive our new tower speakers.
frown.gif

....it likes the cans though!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back