I've got my Senn HD650s, but there must be something wrong
Mar 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

greenclaws

New Head-Fier
Last week I ordered some HD650s from Amazon UK. Well, they arrived today and with great excitement I plugged them in and put on my favourite music for reference. My Focusrite Saffire has a headphone amp and yet I needed to turn up the amp from 25% to 50%, which would blow out any other headphones or speakers just to get them at a normal level. Well that's fine, as I know they take a lot of drive. Thing is, when I listen to anything through them it sounds pretty boring, with less bass and barely more clarity than my £15 Sony V300s, which have always sounded pretty good. Boring, at that price with that amount of acclaim, there's got to be something wrong! Help!

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 62
From my very limited experience, that sounds like the amp.

With my PCDP when I go from 32 ohm MS2i to 300 ohm HD600, I also have to turn the vol way up, and the sound is rather uninspiring.

But then with my old Onkyo receiver, I actually have to turn the vol Down a bit for the HD600s compared to the MS2i, but they both sound great!

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 62
If you want excitement, buy Grado
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 62
F107plus5: That does sound like what's happening. It's a shame because it's a really good amp for monitors. Does this mean that i'll have to either sell or return the 650s and get some non driven 595s?

Blackmore: Wanna sport me the extra £800 and £500 for the amp ?
wink.gif

Preshure0617: When a set of expensive reference headphones aren't performing as well as a pair of £15 Sony headphones, it's quite useful to compare! I wasn't clear on what V300s were though, i'll edit it.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 62
Not necessary, SR225+Firestone Cute Encore= very nice combo
wink.gif

I do not found HD650 fun listen to it, sorry...

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
F107plus5: That does sound like what's happening. It's a shame because it's a really good amp for monitors. Does this mean that i'll have to either sell or return the 650s and get some non driven 595s?

Blackmore: Wanna sport me the extra £800 and £500 for the amp ?
wink.gif

Preshure0617: When a set of expensive reference headphones aren't performing as well as a pair of £15 Sony headphones, it's quite useful to compare! I wasn't clear on what V300s were though, i'll edit it.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 62
One other thought may be to quickly find someone with a home theater system with a reasonably good receiver or someone with a good headphone amp first and take a listen to the HD650s before giving up on them, especially if it's a sound you think you might like.

Of course if another amp isn't in the immediate future that may be another story as well.
plainface.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

I had to look up what the Saffire is....yep, I'd say that's the culprit. The 650s need a good amp and source in order to open up to be rock cans. I would follow others advice about getting low impedance headphones if you want to stick with your Saffire. The HD595 or Grados. Avoid AKG 501-701 as well. They have lower impedance, but have really low sensitivities....they need a lot of current. Though Blackmore has an idea that you can get a cheaper headphone amp to see if the 650s will open up for you: why not get the Firestone Cute Encore first....see if that improves them. If not, then go on to another headphone.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 62
Thanks everyone for your advice! Davesrose, that's what I was afraid of. Focusrite said that the internal headphone amp could drive it, but obviously not.
I can't afford a seperate headphone amp so i'll go for the lower impedance.

A friend recommends the Grado SR80s or 125s or 225s. What can I get away with on my system? The Saffire is a lovely system but it seems can't take the impedance. I suppose the SR80s, if I can even find any.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 62
SR225 is the way to go. Up here USD 150 slightly used or USD 170 almost new. On Ebay UK you will pay like GBP 150 for SR225 new, isn't.

Quote:

Thanks everyone for your advice! Davesrose, that's what I was afraid of. Focusrite said that the internal headphone amp could drive it, but obviously not.
I can't afford a seperate headphone amp so i'll go for the lower impedance.

A friend recommends the Grado SR80s or 125s or 225s. What can I get away with on my system? The Saffire is a lovely system but it seems can't take the impedance. I suppose the SR80s, if I can even find any.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Yeah, Grados are expensive where you are! They're also the opposite tonality of the HD650. The HD595 is certainly something to consider if you want something that's not as treble heavy. IMO, they are more versatile then the SR80 through 225. Grados seem best suited for hard rock.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 62
I got the HD650s for £110, thought I might be able to make some profit on eBay selling them, but after fees I probably can't as people are selling them new for £160. Might just take them back to Amazon. A friend is coming over tonight with some 595s, I'll see what I think. As Grado are so expensive and hard to get here, and I can actually try the 595s out, may go for that.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

A friend is coming over tonight with some 595s, I'll see what I think. As Grado are so expensive and hard to get here, and I can actually try the 595s out, may go for that.

Sounds like a good plan. If the HD595s don't float your boat, the 225s will be more "in your head" sounding with a bit more emphasis in treble. They're especially good with electric guitars. But of course the easiest way to figure out if you'll like something is just to try it!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back