I've got my Senn HD650s, but there must be something wrong
Mar 27, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, unfortunately Grado don't seem to want to sell any headphones here, kind of the Nintendo or B&W of the headphone world it seems

Grado is a very small company: even here in the States it's easiest to order them online. It does floor me that they're that expensive in Europe: I'd barely pay what they go for here. But they fill an area of the market....the SR325i is the best compliment to the HD650 too
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 62
There is another brand of Grado that sells for quite a bit less than Grado outside of the US because of the way they're marketed. And that's the Alessandro line of phones made by Grado and sold through Alessandro. They sell for the same price everywhere, shipped world wide for free.

The MS-1 is a good choice since they don't need an amp and are more neutral than the average Grado. If the hd595 isn't able to be driven with your amp, perhaps the MS-1 would be worth a look.

.....or, for a few coins more, my favorite, the MS2i!!

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 62
I'll get charged a lot in import duty, I'd have to think about it...

As for the 595s, there's a 50ohm version and a 120ohm version, i'd assume that the 120 is better if my system can handle it. The thing is, most shops don't indicate which version they're selling, how can I tell?

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 62
Classic case of under amping and under-sourcing the HD650. The 650 sells for around $350 (US$) here. IMHO you should expect to pay around that much in amplification and source to get the most out of them. IMHO the 650 is one of the more demanding cans in its price range. Amp/source adequately and you will be rewarded. I can't think of too many soundcards that can adequately power the HD650.

So you're looking at an M^3 (with STEPS if at all possible) and a mid-Fi CD deck (Denon, Rotel, NAD, Marantz...etc...). To really get them to SING.

You should also be aware that (IMHO) some cans just sound BAD with certain kinds of music. So... it all depends on your music preferences too.

Grado/Alessandro for example are generally preferred for rock, due to their forward and energetic presentation. While other more ambient kinds of music don't sound so hot... IMHO of course.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey kramer5150
"IMHO the 650 is one of the more demanding cans in its price range."
Can it be said about 580\600 too?

Can 650 be powered by it?:
http://www.mothmuseum.com/lunchbox.htm
Thanks

Not demanding power wise, but demanding quality wise. There are few synergetic setups for the HD650s out there. A Stereo reciever could power my HD650s, but would they sound good? No, they wouldn't. In my opinion, they may be the pickiest headphones outhere in order to get good sound.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 62
of all the amps I have tried w/ my 650s, the Heed Canamp was best. this is not to say there may not be better, or just as good, but in the $400 price range, the Heed synergy was great and it had more than enough power to bring the 650s to their best

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when I listen to anything through them it sounds pretty boring

Compared to some of the most "funny" headphones on the market the Sennheiser HD6x0 sounds boring because it it doesn't provide the energy in the upper mids that is essential to make drums sparkle. But for acoustic music I find my HD 600 really adequate, with most amplification.

graphCompare.php

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can it be said about 580\600 too?

I don't think so. That is.. I don't think the 580 is all that demanding. A pimeta running with a 24V ELPAC, and AD823 sounds really good with the 580. Thats about a ~$150-$100 amp. But the 580 also has that upper midrange recession, so if you pick an amp that is laid back in those frequencies you may be under-whelmed once again.

The other thing you should consider, is that IMHO the senn cans just don't have that speedy/snappy detail resolution of other cans in their price range. (K501, K701, SA5k, DT880, MS2). I find its an acoustic property of the senn drivers. So, if you are a detail fanatic and find yourself picking apart notes in your head, (IMHO) there are better options than the HD580/650.

Thats my oppinion of course
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
What the Senns lack in speed/detail, they can make up for in warmth, soundstage and "groove"... if amped properly.

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #29 of 62
The Darkvoice 336i made the 650 sound fantab. There's one for sale here right now, though maybe not for long. It sounds like source, however, would still need to be addressed.

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 62
BURN THEM IN

When I first got my HD650's I thought they were crap, look at my old posts from like 04. You have to let them burn in for a LONG TIME. I put them in a box with a pillow on top and hooked them up to my receiver and left them on a radio station for a few days at slightly higher volume than normal.

After listening to them for a while, I couldn't go back to my Sony CD3K's, the HD650's were just too smooth and good! IMO, they sound good even out of my iPod, not as good as my PPA, but still fine.

BURN IN!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back