i've got a fancy Chrome/Lexan/White Plastic paperweight
Jul 17, 2005 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bong

Headphoneus Supremus
after four years of faithful service, my original (which my brother inherited) 5GB 1st generation iPod died. it keeps resetting itself and gives me the folder with the exclamation point icon on the screen. i'm surprised my 1st gen iPod has a harddrive failure BEFORE the battery life issue.

i just needed to vent... i'm quite sad actually, like losing a good friend.
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 17
Sorry to hear Bong. Always wished I kept my first gen.

They have a lithium polymer battery (as opposed to the lith-ions since). I wonder how long they will last. Mine was still going strong at four years.

Also you could always replace the HD if that's the problem. I know there are several services. This one is only $65.

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Wow, four years.

Actually, compared to portable tape/CD players, thats pretty pathetic isin't it people? OK, HD's are more 'vulerable', but still....

OK, maybe 4 years mean you get your investment (money) back, but my old cassette player is still a-ok. What do you lot think?
biggrin.gif
be kind to me...

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 17
heh.. thanks for the sympathies blessingx. maybe now i can convince my brother to get his own brand new iPod Mini now... instead of relying on my "hand me downs."

LFC_SL, i totally agree with you on the lifespan issue. i have PCDPs that lasted well more than four years. however, i guess we have to tread DAPs more like computer peripherals instead of A/V equipment.

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 17
had a sony discman last for 6+ years (still works) and I've got an original md player from way back, and it's still going strong. I love sony portables...

Jul 17, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 17
my sony mz-n710 died after maybe 2 or 3 years... it skips arround like hell and isnt usabel this way... its a apity since i alway loved mds... just hope my iaudio m3l will last some time....

Jul 18, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 17
4 years and a cop out? Pretty nice that you didn't break it in the mean time, I know I've biffed a few portables and had them act a little funny within a few months.

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, I know the feeling. When I broke my MZ-S1, my old friend for like 3 years now, I got very upset until I actually fixed it in a miracle lol. But it was upsetting. This guy is my friend!!

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 17
RIP.

But hey, it lasted that long. My iPod's HD died a little after a year.

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 17
heh... i've tried in desperation to get the hard drive working... reformatting, iPod restore, disk defrag... nothing worked, not that i expected to.

my old friend is gone.
frown.gif

i still have my current 2nd gen 10GB iPod, but hopefully that one will last longer than 4 years. it's been three years running and still going strong. for some reason, i prefer the hard edged design of classic iPods than the current ones.

i think my brother's been eyeing my Shuffle as a replacement... not in his life! at $129 he can get his own!
icon10.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 17
i know... i'm replying to my old thread.

anyway, since dismantling my old iPod, i've been playing with the idea of replacing the hard drive, but i want to be absolutely sure it's a hard drive problem. as i said before, it keeps resetting itself and gives me the folder with the exclamation point icon on the screen. sometimes it'll play a few songs (like 5 or 6 in succession) and then freeze or reset itself, or sometimes it'll freeze within the first 30 seconds of the first song.

also, would anyone know where to get a cheap replacement hard drive? the link blessingx posted didn't have any of the 1st gen in stock... and the price was a bit much.

thanks much in advance!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back