I've found love...Woo Audio WA3+
Jan 9, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #46 of 62
Ive read the tone audio review of the wa3+ and the wa6 and they said that the hd650s sound much better on the 6. Anyone compare these two amps and can confirm this?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive read the tone audio review of the wa3+ and the wa6 and they said that the hd650s sound much better on the 6. Anyone compare these two amps and can confirm this?

Yes; I'd be interested in reading that as well. Could a loaner program be arranged for getting the WA6, WA3+ and the MK IV SE together with the K701 and HD 650?

This would be a real plus for those looking at tubes with one of these headphones...

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #48 of 62
Get a 6 se or look elsewhere. You start getting the power supply needed to control these phones with the energy to make them sing. The cap upgrade will make this a fine amp for an all rounder.

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a 6 se or look elsewhere. You start getting the power supply needed to control these phones with the energy to make them sing. The cap upgrade will make this a fine amp for an all rounder.

Also a query - how important a role does the power supply play in the amp? I'm talking the a/c to d/c power supply...

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

I wish I could. 1050 US$ is like a months salary for me; too much to spend ATM.

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #51 of 62
Limp Bizkit-CSATHDFW Interscope Records Lp 2000
Celtic Frost-Into The Pandemonium Earmark 1999
Guns N' Roses-Apetite For Destruction Greffen 2008
Alice Cooper-Constrictor MCA 1986
MSG-One Night at Budokan Chrysalis 1981

Would the Bugle Boy 6DJ8 work for the standard Woo Audio 3 too?

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could. 1050 US$ is like a months salary for me; too much to spend ATM.

Fully understand. I had to save 6 mos to get my amp. I'm still putting my spare change away for a new source. Been saving over a year.

If you want something competent without getting the very best the hp can do, the standard 6 will sound good. You can diy upgrades or send it back if a boon comes your way. I don't think Woo would offer the upgraded units unless there was room for improvement with the basic unit. They don't put on gold trim and crystals.

As far as the importance of a power supply to an amp, that is the amp. Fast, large power reserves, clean power, properly designed grounding make a big difference between making noise and controlling a driver properly. My ipod moves the 701s to get sound but won't move the driver like my SP. When it runs the 701s, there is no dampening needed from the hp. The amp controls the starting and stopping with authority. Every nuance of signal gets to the drivers. When driving a complex signal, the soundstage stays intact instead of collapsing, sustained note energy stays even instead of dropping down because of lack of reserve juice.

All that is based on the power supply.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Limp Bizkit-CSATHDFW Interscope Records Lp 2000
Celtic Frost-Into The Pandemonium Earmark 1999
Guns N' Roses-Apetite For Destruction Greffen 2008
Alice Cooper-Constrictor MCA 1986
MSG-One Night at Budokan Chrysalis 1981

Would the Bugle Boy 6DJ8 work for the standard Woo Audio 3 too?

Yup, same tube selections apply for both versions, although if that's the kind of musi you'll listen to, I don't think the Amperex 6DJ8 is the best choice for you...you'd be better off with maybe a Siemens or Telefunken 6922 equivalent (the E88CC).

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #54 of 62
Maybe I should put it this way. Will the WA6 without any upgrades still be better than the WA3+ with both high and low impedance cans??

Quote:

Fully understand. I had to save 6 mos to get my amp. I'm still putting my spare change away for a new source. Been saving over a year.

If you want something competent without getting the very best the hp can do, the standard 6 will sound good. You can diy upgrades or send it back if a boon comes your way. I don't think Woo would offer the upgraded units unless there was room for improvement with the basic unit. They don't put on gold trim and crystals.

As far as the importance of a power supply to an amp, that is the amp. Fast, large power reserves, clean power, properly designed grounding make a big difference between making noise and controlling a driver properly. My ipod moves the 701s to get sound but won't move the driver like my SP. When it runs the 701s, there is no dampening needed from the hp. The amp controls the starting and stopping with authority. Every nuance of signal gets to the drivers. When driving a complex signal, the soundstage stays intact instead of collapsing, sustained note energy stays even instead of dropping down because of lack of reserve juice.

All that is based on the power supply.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #55 of 62
You rock Golden Monkey.......Thankyou I'll try to roll em like you said.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Yup, same tube selections apply for both versions, although if that's the kind of musi you'll listen to, I don't think the Amperex 6DJ8 is the best choice for you...you'd be better off with maybe a Siemens or Telefunken 6922 equivalent (the E88CC).

Agree. The Bugle boy has a much more relaxed presentation of music material. And also more forgiving

A siemens or telefunken 7308 or 6922 will be more airy and clinical.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I should put it this way. Will the WA6 without any upgrades still be better than the WA3+ with both high and low impedance cans??

From reading the tone audio review, they should be similar with low impedance cans but the wa6 is better with the senn 650s so probably better for high impedance cans... I am interested to know more about this also

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reading the tone audio review, they should be similar with low impedance cans but the wa6 is better with the senn 650s so probably better for high impedance cans... I am interested to know more about this also

This is the exact predicament I am facing. The WA3+ is a fully upgraded product at 495$. The WA6 is priced at 585$, but can get better for a higher price. Is this the simple rule of thumb, i.e. pay more, get more?

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #59 of 62
hehehe guess so. I think we shoul all just wait for the hd800 and see what amp is good for those
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You rock Golden Monkey.......Thankyou I'll try to roll em like you said.

Glad I could help! Hey, where in California are you? If you're in the bay area, maybe we can meet up, and you can try the 3+ with my tube sets...that should help narrow down your choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back