I've done something extremely silly...
Jun 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oscahie

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm a bit embarrassed to tell this but anyway, here is what happened. A few days ago, at the end of my holidays in Japan, I bought myself a JVC HP-RX900 headphones, seeing as most reviewers agree they are great value for the price (I'm not an audiophile, just needed some decent cans for the desktop PC).

So during the flight back to Europe I wanted to use them with the in-fight entertaining system, but the aircraft used those stupid jacks with 2 pins (3 actually, but read on), so I needed an adapter for that. As it turns out, I was also carrying with me my Nokia noise cancelling headphones, which come with a little bag full of jack adapters. However the dual-pin adapter didn't work well in this case, it had a rather loose fit and so the audio would cut off constantly, so I decided to try another of the adapters in the bag... a smaller, thinner one that was fitting perfectly on the third pin of the audio jack (it's like a triangle with 3 pins)... which as I *now* know happens to be a 12 volts power line for some noise cancelling headphones supplied by the airlines!! So yes, I plugged my RX900 directly to that... LOL it was such an incredibly stupid thing. 

Fortunately the headphones still work... or sort of, because now the left side's sound is noticeably weaker than the right side. It appears that it can be 'fixed' by simply raising the left balance in the EQ to compensate, or so it looks to my dull ears, but chances are the headphones are actually more blown than what it looks like?

I suppose there's little that can be done to fix it besides contacting JVC for repair/replacement, but what do you think? any electronics fried perhaps? shall I expect it to get worse over time?

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 2
It's impossible to say whether it will get worse or not, but you've almost certainly blown one driver and won't get better.
Not much you can do other than send it into JVC and ask if it qualifies for a repair under warranty (probably not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back