I've changed the tires on my Grado HP-2's!
Dec 24, 2003 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Ok, so I know it has been said far more eloquently before, but MAN OH MAN do those flat pads ever change the sound (to the better) of the HP-2's! I'm now a believer. This is not a review, just an observation.

It's like going from these big heavy snow tires with chains on them (and on the HP-2 sound) to high performance racing slicks. The entire presentation, from top to bottom, is more clear and forward, and yet just as intimate as the HP-2 sound I've come to love.

It's as though they are an entirely different headphone. In my estimation, the improvment offered by the $25 flat pads is by far greater than what I experienced when replacing the stock cable of my HD600's with a Cardas.

Thanks, Todd.

Dec 24, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 3
Interesting....hmmmm.....

For me it is not so cut & dry these days. Here's my comparative take on Flats vs. Bowls:

Flats
Rolled-off highs, less high-end detail but very pleasurable
Deeper bass
Very natural mids
Less 'air' between instruments
Less comfortable in long term sessions, tolerable.

Bowls
Extended highs, often too bright
Less bass
Very Natural mids
More 'air' between instruments
More comfortable, completely covers my ears (circumaural)

So, for me it is a tradeoff between high-end detail with better 'air' and less bass vs. a more neutral sound with rolled-off highs & great bass but less 'air'. I can't wait to try my new tube amp. May have to do some cable rolling too, and see where my best combos are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back