I've been saving for a very long time now and have $2500 to buy the best setup for the money.
Jun 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #61 of 72
  Hey guys, so what do you all think of the beyer T1 instead? I could get it for $780 with free shipping and that way I could save A LOT of money. I'd been looking for a really good pair of used hd800's but I haven't been able to find a pair that would really be quite cheep enough. Any thoughts on a good amp/dac to pair with it as well would be much appreciated!

If you're not too eager, I'll give you my opinion soon. My T1 will arrive next week and I'm very excited to compare extensively the two german flagships :wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #62 of 72
I owned -and sold- the DT 880 in 600 Ohm.  Agree with Armaegis that they're price/value wise probably the best of the lineup.  They're good cans but I just didn't like their treble, too hot for me.  Tried the T1 later and although it was 'quicker' with better detail and faster decay, it suffered the same problem, it's just the way BeyerDynamic designs them.  Perfect if they fit your taste but -like with any headphone- I'd seriously recommend a try before you buy.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #63 of 72
  I owned -and sold- the DT 880 in 600 Ohm.  Agree with Armaegis that they're price/value wise probably the best of the lineup.  They're good cans but I just didn't like their treble, too hot for me.  Tried the T1 later and although it was 'quicker' with better detail and faster decay, it suffered the same problem, it's just the way BeyerDynamic designs them.  Perfect if they fit your taste but -like with any headphone- I'd seriously recommend a try before you buy.

I kind of have to disagree here. With a top end dac and amp, I find that the T1's treble is not accentuated nor harsh in any way. They have excellent resolution, and though their treble reaches high, I still believe it could be more extended. I'd say DAC/Amp is super important in assessing their quality. And not to forget the burn in, I was very unimpressed the first time I listened to them..

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #64 of 72
  I owned -and sold- the DT 880 in 600 Ohm.  Agree with Armaegis that they're price/value wise probably the best of the lineup.  They're good cans but I just didn't like their treble, too hot for me.  Tried the T1 later and although it was 'quicker' with better detail and faster decay, it suffered the same problem, it's just the way BeyerDynamic designs them.

I hope I won't have the same feeling. I've really disliked the DT880 and indeed I'm afraid to dislike the T1 too. The DT880 has an odd treble I really hate. Something like a crumpled Aluminium foil ? ( Google translate helped me to find the words.. Hope they talk to you Native English speakers
redface.gif
)

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #65 of 72
Late to the party here, but if the OP still needs ideas i'll say:

Try and buy used.
Used burson conductor: $1250 ish
Used Audeze headphone, whichever your flavor. 2/x/3

Unless you have a specific sound youre going for, any of those lcd phones are pretty solid. Also the conductor pairs well with pretty much all the top tier phones imo. Im a fan of the burson line.

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #66 of 72
owned the HD800. after a while, you start to notice the glare regardless of setup. prefer the LCD2. i would get that as a headphone (maybe $750 used). then pour the remainder into a one box solution, such as a burson. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #67 of 72
Late to the party here, but if the OP still needs ideas i'll say:

Try and buy used.
Used burson conductor: $1250 ish
Used Audeze headphone, whichever your flavor. 2/x/3

Unless you have a specific sound youre going for, any of those lcd phones are pretty solid. Also the conductor pairs well with pretty much all the top tier phones imo. Im a fan of the burson line.

That's probably a smart idea. That's also probably what I'll end up going with. Thank you for the input!

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #68 of 72
Never heard a Burson that was any good.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #69 of 72
The above is a well argumented decision....worthy of serious consideration :wink:

I don't own a Burson but tried the conductor with my HD-800 and HE-500. Found it a very capable piece of kit but in the end went for a competitor because the conductor wa s just a bit too forward/aggressive sounding to my ears. Question of taste, you need to try them. Unsubstantiated opinions that all Burson gear is rubbish are just...rubbish.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #71 of 72
The above is a well argumented decision....worthy of serious consideration :wink:

I don't own a Burson but tried the conductor with my HD-800 and HE-500. Found it a very capable piece of kit but in the end went for a competitor because the conductor wa s just a bit too forward/aggressive sounding to my ears. Question of taste, you need to try them. Unsubstantiated opinions that all Burson gear is rubbish are just...rubbish.

Unsubstantiated? I simply said every Burson piece I've heard was a disappointment, based on actual experience with the product.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #72 of 72
I know I'm a little late to reply, but if I was you, I would try waiting until everything is on sale (holiday is coming up). You should be able to afford some pretty great gear around then. I don't really have specific recommendations, but in terms of what to spend your money on with $2500, i would say $1000 goes towards cans, $1000 goes towards an amp, and $500 towards the DAC (Maybe LCD2, Paired with a Violectric V200 and a DAC?). This is just my opinion so feel free to disagree
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back