I've been saving for a very long time now and have $2500 to buy the best setup for the money.
Jun 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #46 of 72
As others wrote. My recomends the headphones have to be on the first place than source with amp. I had HD800 and LCD2 for 2 month at home. I heard them only on my quality dac/amp but it is compromise do not have quality external amp. But HD800 sounds more real (well arranged vocals instruments, soundstage deep and wide, transparent...) and overal it is better headphone in almost everything. But LCD2 sounds normal and nice and although it is not as good as HD800 I would choose LCD2 because I listened them more often.

So for myself I would get LCDX with some quality dac/amp
or LCD2 with silver cables (it really help them)! and some dac and amp
or HE560 with dac/amp
In my opinion planar hp is very universal

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #47 of 72
  As others wrote. My recomends the headphones have to be on the first place than source with amp. I had HD800 and LCD2 for 2 month at home. I heard them only on my quality dac/amp but it is compromise do not have quality external amp. But HD800 sounds more real (well arranged vocals instruments, soundstage deep and wide, transparent...) and overal it is better headphone in almost everything. But LCD2 sounds normal and nice and although it is not as good as HD800 I would choose LCD2 because I listened them more often.

So for myself I would get LCDX with some quality dac/amp
or LCD2 with silver cables (it really help them)! and some dac and amp
or HE560 with dac/amp
In my opinion planar hp is very universal

I really appreciate the feedback but from what I've heard, the new hd800 fit my taste in audio better than anything else I've heard so far. Maybe way down the road I'll grab a second and perhaps a third TOTL headphone.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #48 of 72
  I haven't been able to find the hd800 below 1200
I don't know about the wa7, I love how quiet it is but I don't quite feel it's worth it. I was think the NuForce DAC-100 and a nice usb cable. I could save a lot of $$$ and save for a upgrade later on.
I know this price won't be end game. It is extremely good though and I know I will make the most of it until I can save more for a better amp and dac a bit down the line.

The Nuforce DAC-100 is now discontinued, so finding one may be tricky. I do think it's a fantastic match for the HD800 though. That said, for roughly the same cost I think the Yulong DA8 is a better performer. Perhaps not as nice a match for the HD800, but I think it's a slightly better dac, has more options, and more power to cover a wider variety of headphones.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #49 of 72

The Nuforce DAC-100 is now discontinued, so finding one may be tricky. I do think it's a fantastic match for the HD800 though. That said, for roughly the same cost I think the Yulong DA8 is a better performer. Perhaps not as nice a match for the HD800, but I think it's a slightly better dac, has more options, and more power to cover a wider variety of headphones.

If I could find one for say 850 dollars, would that be an absolute steal?

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #50 of 72
  If I could find one for say 850 dollars, would that be an absolute steal?

If that's new, then yeah. If it's used, it's not a steal but still ok.

Now, if you really want to spend the extra money on the cables simply because you like the way they look......then fine, I can understand that......just don't do it for any gains is audible quality because they just won't be there.

Good luck with your purchases and enjoy your new set up!

I don't spend megabucks on cables, but I do like something with better aesthetics and durability. Really really cheap ones can negatively affect sound though, if they're just made from poor materials and pick up interference, etc.

Usually I try (or at least tell myself) to allocate my spending ratios on gear according to Fibonacci... 1:1:2:3:5

So let's say $1k for headphones, then $600 for amp, $400 for dac, no more than $200 for all the cables/cords/interconnects, no more than $200 for power. That actually takes us to $2.4k which is right around your budget.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #51 of 72
At that budget, get a used HD800 and a quality used DAC (PWD, Audio-Gd?). Then get the Schiit Vali to tide you till you can afford to upgrade your amp. The sources mentioned would stretch your budget a little but at least you won't have to worry too much about upgrading them in future. The Vali performs surprisingly well with the HD800 (and well up to amps costing over $1000), so that should tide you for sometime until you have another $2.5k to upgrade your amp
wink.gif
. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #52 of 72
Matrix X-Sabre ($1100) + Headamp GS-X2 ($2800)

Note: I've heard many combinations much more expensive, but I preferred the combo listed above.

I'm currently using X-sabre > GS-1 > HD800 until my GS-X arrives (hopefully next week or two). Out of the set-ups I've heard the HD-800, that's my favorite.
I haven't seen one offered used in a while, but a G-lite or a good DIY dynalo can be had sometimes for cheap and can drive the HD800 well. There is something special about the dynalo topology.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #53 of 72
Headphones are too individual for recommendations.  I own a HD-800 and sure, it's extremely good in some areas but I personally feel it's overpriced and overhyped here on the site.  Unless you want/need its extreme soundstage and want (and can take which is something else altogether) its extreme detail there are options out there that offer more bang for your buck imo.  HD-800 and less than pristine quality recordings such as older music = disaster.  Many are those claiming to want detail/resolution and neutrality.  Few are those who know what those concepts translate to and really appreciate them when they get them.

For the rest I'd prioritise a good amp over the dac because amps stay, dac technology changes all the time.  If you can go to meets, do so, it's a great way to get to know gear and it doesn't HAVE to be expensive to sound really good.  E.g. I own a second hand purchased tube amp that cost me about 400 USD, yet it gets more head time than most of my other, vastly more expensive gear.  Beware of advice from people who tend to be good at spending others' money.

Cables are like religion:  some believe in them, others don't.  I don't.  Have auditioned a friend's >3k/pair RCA interconnects with my 50 EUR/pair ones and couldn't hear a difference.  Pretty sure  he wouldn't hear a difference either but it's his money.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #55 of 72
Hey guys, so what do you all think of the beyer T1 instead? I could get it for $780 with free shipping and that way I could save A LOT of money. I'd been looking for a really good pair of used hd800's but I haven't been able to find a pair that would really be quite cheep enough. Any thoughts on a good amp/dac to pair with it as well would be much appreciated!

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #56 of 72
I haven't heard the T1 so won't comment there. Though in my experience with a lot of the Beyer cans, I'd say the DT880 is the best of the bunch. Actually, sort of an oddball suggestion but instead of just getting one can you can get a couple to suit your tastes/music. The "old school trio" altogether costs less than a single flagship these days (DT880 for $200-250, HD600/650 for $300-400, Q701 for $150 if you know where to look).

Another off the wall suggestion: a used STAX with a Woo WEE adapter, then hook it up to any vintage speaker amp.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #57 of 72
Hey guys, so what do you all think of the beyer T1 instead? I could get it for $780 with free shipping and that way I could save A LOT of money. I'd been looking for a really good pair of used hd800's but I haven't been able to find a pair that would really be quite cheep enough. Any thoughts on a good amp/dac to pair with it as well would be much appreciated!

I know a lot of people like them, but I didn't think too much of them during my TOTL headphone shoot out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717989/totl-hp-shootout-oppo-pm-1-hd800-lcd2-2-t1-he500-fostex-th900-hd650-hd600

The lcd2 and hd800 were just in a class by themselves and way above the others - using the described high end system and even using my x5 and dx90 portable set ups. I am now selling things off to purchase an hd800 to use along side my lcd2s. The lcd2s would be my fun headphone and the hd800 would be my analytical.

However, if I didn't hear the hd800 or lcd2 side by side with the t1, I probably would have been happy with the t1 in ignorance as it is a great headphone.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #58 of 72
However, if I didn't hear the hd800 or lcd2 side by side with the t1, I probably would have been happy with the t1 in ignorance as it is a great headphone.

I would probably have been happy in ignorance with a Grado SR80 were it not for headfi...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back