I've been converted...
Jan 28, 2007 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
I finally got to spend some quality time with my new HD580s today, with a multitude of genres from Rockabilly to Ska. All I can say is, man, these things rule. I formerly have loved Grados, their sound was really good for rock and acoustic. But the lack of bass and overemphisized highs really put me off in the end, and brought me to the Sennheiser HD580
580smile.gif

They excel over my Grados in almost every way. The soundstage is expansive and airy, the highs are well detailed but not fatiguing, the bass is tight and extended, and the mids are well detailed. The only area that I have heard so far in my listening that is not so much to my tastes is that they are a bit laid back. Not really "uninvolving" like some have said, but rather they spread the music out on a table instead of shoving them in your face all at once.

The biggest thing that impresses me about these cans is the bass. They are exactly what I have been looking for in a headphone. Present, but not overpowering, deep but tight. Overall it is simply the best bass I have heard in a headphone so far, but then again these are also my first truely audiophile headphones. The thought that things only get better from here makes me smile, and my wallet cringe.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Way to go. Welcome to team Sennheiser.

All Grado fans are really Sennheiser lovers at heart, they just don't realise it.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Grado fans are really Sennheiser lovers at heart, they just don't realise it.
wink.gif

I started off with the HD-650, but the HF-1 was a gateway drug. The HD-650 doesn't get nearly as much head time as it used to. I still like it enough to keep it.

At any rate, I'm always happy to see people find headphones they like. That's what this is all about.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started off with the HD-650, but the HF-1 was a gateway drug. The HD-650 doesn't get nearly as much head time as it used to. I still like it enough to keep it.

At any rate, I'm always happy to see people find headphones they like. That's what this is all about.

that is true......I'm now totally done with upgraditis (my Music Hall MM5 TT is being shipped right now
very_evil_smiley.gif
). The HD650s on my sig are what I'm settling on: sound awesome for both all my rock and classical genres. I'm sure system synergy has a lot to do with headphones too. I like my 325is for certain rock genres that are poorly compressed, but their dynamics/impact just doesn't compare to the HD650. The HF-1 is the most balanced Grado I've listened to.

Oh, and Ace o' Spades, Welcome to team Sennheiser!

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happy to see people find headphones they like. That's what this is all about.

x2

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 11
I posted my thoughts on another thread about this. After I heard the 580s with a decent amp (XP amp) I realized that I'm not a grado fanboy as I thought but a sennheiser fanboy. These things really bring the bass compared to the 225s. I gave the 580s to my dad because they fit my dad's type of music better. I miss the 580s everyday.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is true......I'm now totally done with upgraditis (my Music Hall MM5 TT is being shipped right now
very_evil_smiley.gif
). The HD650s on my sig are what I'm settling on: sound awesome for both all my rock and classical genres. I'm sure system synergy has a lot to do with headphones too. I like my 325is for certain rock genres that are poorly compressed, but their dynamics/impact just doesn't compare to the HD650. The HF-1 is the most balanced Grado I've listened to.

Oh, and Ace o' Spades, Welcome to team Sennheiser!

I skimmed through your post expecting to see some DAC1 advertising and was caught quite off guard when I didn't!
blink.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 11
As long as you find the sound you're happy with, that's what counts.

I made the opposite switch - from being convinced that the HD580 was the greatest sound for the price I could hear to becoming a flat-out Grado fanboy, going through the entire line all the way up to the RS-1, my former posterchild for "who would spend that much on a pair of headphones?"

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 11
I posted the following earlier in another thread about my HD580's:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disregard. I just uninstalled WinAmp and now have Foobar2000 running. Pretty simple and the EQ is way better. Finally my cans sound like I want them to. The bass with my HD580's and C&C Box kicks @ss. Looking forward to seeing what my HD650's will do.

What I found most unexpected from the HD580's is how involving they are, not nearly as tame as I thought and hoped they'd be. Tonight I found out tailoring the sound with an EQ really helps a lot.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 11
This is turning out to be more difficult than I had thought.

My plan was to sit right square in the middle of the fence: Grado-type music on the "bright side" for the MS2i, and Senns style of tunes on the "dark side" for the HD600. No overlapping, no grey areas, everything cut and dried and laid out perfectly with no deviations.

Well.....that was my plan.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back