iTunes Yuckiness
Aug 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 22
I only bought my ipod after someone told me that i could transfer music to it without itunes and after i saw it working. I bought my ipod, tried itunes (once) threw everything away and now i use sharepod since 2008. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #17 of 22
I only bought my ipod after someone told me that i could transfer music to it without itunes and after i saw it working. I bought my ipod, tried itunes (once) threw everything away and now i use sharepod since 2008. 

I use a program called CopyTrans Manager, which does the same thing basically. It's great to get away from iTunes. All you need to do is follow the directions which installs the iTunes device drivers and you're good to go.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
I use a program called CopyTrans Manager, which does the same thing basically. It's great to get away from iTunes. All you need to do is follow the directions which installs the iTunes device drivers and you're good to go.

I just checked out their site and it seems like a great alternative. Like I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to use Red Chair Software's Anapod, but it is not longer supported and it didn't support the Touch or iPhone. It was very convenient to keep a copy of it on my iPod 30GB though so I was always "prepared" wherever I went.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

the good thing about share pod is that it's just an .exe file that you put IN your ipod in Mass Storage Mode, and then whenever you need it, you run it from the ipod and can import and export music as you please. I love it.  

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
I should clarify about the "resource hog" comment I made. I do have a powerful machine, and if I were to install iTunes, it probably would not affect the performance much. But, iTunes cannot compare to no software at all! Plug in, drag. drop, and enjoy. Simple is best.

Completely disagree.  I have over 400 CDs and more than 5500 songs in mp3 format for my digital library.  I also listens to several Podcasts.  A music library software is a MUST for me and I would take iTunes over no software any day.  Drag and drop is simply not an option and is actually less simple than an electronic database with meta data tags with search and filter functions, nor would drag and drop have the bookmark functions needed for my Podcasts which allows me to sync the exact position where I have left off during my commute to my home PC so I can resume it at where I've left off.  It's like once you've gone to a computer catalogue in a book library you won't ever want to go back to the paper cards.  I would gladly trade that little bit of inconvenience (if at all) for the HUGE gain in functionality, I would think a programmer would actually get the benefits of a database system? 
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Completely disagree.  I have over 400 CDs and more than 5500 songs in mp3 format for my digital library.  I also listens to several Podcasts.  A music library software is a MUST for me and I would take iTunes over no software any day.  Drag and drop is simply not an option and is actually less simple than an electronic database with meta data tags with search and filter functions, nor would drag and drop have the bookmark functions needed for my Podcasts which allows me to sync the exact position where I have left off during my commute to my home PC so I can resume it at where I've left off.  It's like once you've gone to a computer catalogue in a book library you won't ever want to go back to the paper cards.  I would gladly trade that little bit of inconvenience (if at all) for the HUGE gain in functionality, I would think a programmer would actually get the benefits of a database system? 
wink_face.gif

well

i think it would be nice to have the choice.  actually i do think itunes works well so long as you can hurl cpu cycles at it.  what actually would be nicer if it wasnt so horribly locked down.  i firmly believe apple intentional make it impossible to anything different from the average person.  think different my arse. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

wink_face.gif

I agree on the database thing! :)  But I tend to arrange my collection on disk (somewhere between 300-400 CD's) in a hierarchical system, and can traverse nodes and find things very easily. Having that same structure on a player is convenient as well. I guess if I were big on features other than music, and the Touch does so much more than I use it for, iTunes would probably be a necessity. Granted, the search functionality of iTunes is tremendous, but I never used it when I did have it on my previous PC, so I don't really miss it. And FWIW, I'm not an Apple hater - quite the opposite! I just hate code bloat in any application, and like I said, resent Apple's way of doing the thinking for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back