iTunes users...
Apr 1, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 39
Nice program there!

I rip all mine at 320kbps AAC...it's smaller than MP3 but has the same quality, if not better, than MP3.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
I rip all mine at 320kbps AAC...it's smaller than MP3 but has the same quality, if not better, than MP3.

Any time I've tried to encode files in AAC, they've always ended up being much larger than my mp3's. I personally don't think they sound any better.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 39
Well AIFF is the best, but your files will be HUGE.

If you're really concerned about sound quality, go for AIFF. But if you want to keep file size to a respectable amount, you'll have to decide if 320kbps is good enough for you.

There's only one way to decide this kind of thing. Forget what everyone tells you and rip the same song at all the bitrates. Start at the highest and work your way down until YOU feel that the sound isn't good enough for your needs.

<edit: when I say AIFF is the best, I mean of the iTunes options. Although I'd imagine wav is pretty close>

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by doctorjuggles
Well AIFF is the best, but your files will be HUGE.

If you're really concerned about sound quality, go for AIFF. But if you want to keep file size to a respectable amount, you'll have to decide if 320kbps is good enough for you.

There's only one way to decide this kind of thing. Forget what everyone tells you and rip the same song at all the bitrates. Start at the highest and work your way down until YOU feel that the sound isn't good enough for your needs.

<edit: when I say AIFF is the best, I mean of the iTunes options. Although I'd imagine wav is pretty close>

they are, in fact, the same.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 39
Correct, WAV is an iTunes option as well, and both AIFF and WAV formats are uncompressed music, raw data as they come... so there's no question in quality.

AIFF files from iTunes though, stores special metadata for the same functionality as ID3 tags in MP3 files. So if you back up your AIFF elsewhere, and something happens to your library, you can easily restore it.

WAV file doesn't have this type of metadata, so when you re-import them into iTunes they're nothing but just a bunch of files... no album, track, artist names. You have to manually organize them again.

iamdone discovered this a while ago... it's been ever so helpful for me personally
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 39
Ok guys, I have another question.

I just bought the 15Gig iPod. I can take it back within 30 days if I don't like it or want to exchange for the 20 gig model. I have a PC so they made me buy the Dock connector/USB 2.0+Firewire adapter. If I buy the 20 gig model will I need this adaptor for my dock too? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 39
kappadonna, do a couple tests. Although WAV/AIFF is the only way to get true CD quality, you may be satisfied with MP3 or AAC for at the very least portable settings (unless I missed it I didn't see where and with what phones you'll be using your iPod). Nothing against uncompressed files, but there's certainly a trade off. It's really worth a bit of time to test yourself.

Also what's all this talk about MP3s and AAC being dramatically different files sizes for the same bitrates???

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 39
AAC 128 here... I can tell a difference, but AAC at 128 is in fact pretty good for most things, and iTunes is the best AAC encoder out there... way better than it is for MP3 (use LAME instead if you need MP3).

I don't have such a big hard disk, and for listening on the go, AAC 128 is good enough. It has some trouble with harpsichords, but beyond that, it sounds quite decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back