iTunes stuttering when using Firefox
May 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Oregonian

Headphoneus Supremus
So I searched and this problem has been prevalent on and off over the years for many Head-Fiers................

I've got it bad now and it's when listening to something from iTunes while surfing in Firefox.  I have the latest iTunes update but it started right before this.  Didn't seem to be there a few weeks ago but now it's almost unlistenable (is that a word?  It is now!).

My setup - HP G60 laptop running Win7 ----->USB cable feeds a FiiO D5 DAC/amp where it is then split out the back - one leg goes to Logitech powered speaker system w/subwoofer, the other leg goes into my Kenwood KA-5700 vintage integrated amp into my Denon D2K headphones. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

May 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 9
It happens to many of us.  It is part RAM, part processing, and mostly iTunes being a system hog.  Try using Foobar2000 and importing your iTunes library folder into it.  Foobar is must less of a system hog and has just as good if not better fidelity.

It may be something like Flashplayer or another plugin that is causing the issue.  You may want to try the NoScript add on for Firefox which allows the control of various add ons and scrips running on different sites.  NoScript takes a while to get used to, but it is one of the best programs to minimize system usage in a browser.  It also is a great add on for protecting your PC.

The last thing to try is to turn off Power Management for the USB hub you are using.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6854952_disable-usb-power-management.html

My last thought is that it could be the DAC on your FiiO going bad, but let's deal with that as a last resort.

May 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 9
It happens to many of us.  It is part RAM, part processing, and mostly iTunes being a system hog.  Try using Foobar2000 and importing your iTunes library folder into it.  Foobar is must less of a system hog and has just as good if not better fidelity.

It may be something like Flashplayer or another plugin that is causing the issue.  You may want to try the NoScript add on for Firefox which allows the control of various add ons and scrips running on different sites.  NoScript takes a while to get used to, but it is one of the best programs to minimize system usage in a browser.  It also is a great add on for protecting your PC.

The last thing to try is to turn off Power Management for the USB hub you are using.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6854952_disable-usb-power-management.html

My last thought is that it could be the DAC on your FiiO going bad, but let's deal with that as a last resort.

Thanks for the ideas, man! I will start on the problem solving and post up. From a web search this is a fairly prevalent problem.

May 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Does it so the same under Chrome or the non nosey version SR Ware Iron?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas, man! I will start on the problem solving and post up. From a web search this is a fairly prevalent problem.

If you close iTunes, use something else like VLC, and the problem goes away, its iTunes.
If you close Firefox, and it goes away, its Firefox.

If the problem still exists, maybe bad hardware.

May 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

If you close iTunes, use something else like VLC, and the problem goes away, its iTunes.
If you close Firefox, and it goes away, its Firefox.

If the problem still exists, maybe bad hardware.

Appears to be iTunes.  Was listening to Pandora with Chrome, iTunes running in background.......................garbled.  Immediately after shutting down iTunes, it was clear. 

May 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 9
simple: set itunes to high priority, firefox to low = problem solved
happy_face1.gif

May 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 9
May 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 9
my firefox taskbar icon leads to a hidden batch file that does the following:
Quote:
start "0" /LOW "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -new-tab about:blank
x:\Process.exe -p firefox.exe low

you can google up process.exe and do the opposite for your media player, firefox was also making my audio hiccup = not anymore
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back