itunes ruins my classical music
Sep 29, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Before ripping the music you need to join the tracks. Then when you rip them they will rip together as one track. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 14
By the way... I just checked -- with the default configuration (crossfade playback on) my music jumps directly to the next song with no delay. I wonder why you have that problem?
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 14
There is no crossfeed. I assume you mean crossfade. In which case it should be on, not off. Adjust time accordingly. The other solution is (as mentioned) join tracks. Unless this whole problem is about the iPod, not iTunes, in which case 'join tracks' is the best option.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Some other music players have gapless plugins (winamp, xmms, foobar2k, etc) I'm not familiar with iTunes but the crossfade section is generally what you use to kill gaps. like someone else suggested, you probably just need to play around with that for a bit.

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
this is REALLY annoying, is there any way for it to play an album seamlessly like a cd??

No, the only way to get true gapless playback in iTunes is to rerip after joining the tracks. Yes it is annoying. I wish Apple would resolve that.

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 14
To what format did you rip? By default MP3 doesn't support gapless, but the newer codecs probably do (AAC, Apple Lossless).

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
... the newer codecs probably do (AAC, Apple Lossless).

I don't think they do specifically. It is up to the player to do the gapless and iTunes just doesn't do it. I think they would have to do some preloading of the next some in que, but they don't really do anything other than start up the next one so you get a hickup at best. Most albums that I know have tracks like that I check real quick before ripping and join the tracks that need it, then rip. You can easily just start the playback and jump to the end of the song to see if it blends into the next. Each one that does you join. Takes just a few seconds to do the entire CD even if you've never heard it and then you rip. When it really blows is with music like Dark Side of the Moon or similar where the entire album is one track. No jumping to a particular song and the file is monstrous.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
this is REALLY annoying, is there any way for it to play an album seamlessly like a cd??

Sleepkyng, what it your crossfade setting? Turn it on, but set it to zero seconds. You have plenty of RAM?

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Sleepkyng, what it your crossfade setting? Turn it on, but set it to zero seconds. You have plenty of RAM?

I used to have this problem as well. Oliver's suggestion solved it. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have 640MB in my G3 800 iBook. I tried it with Appleloss and the gap is completely gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back