Itunes quick question
Mar 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. i am a little noob in all the computer stuff,so i want to ask a question regarding the itunes.
i keep my itunes music folder in c drive (the default actually) and my problem is that i have very little space left in my c partition. so how can i move this folder do my d partition without the files to be erased from my ipod the next time i connect it to the computer?
i forgot to mention that i use automatic sync mode, this is because i use folders and sub-folders as playlists and thats the only way that the ipod recognizes the folders.
thx!

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 9
It depends a little on your situation, and it can be a tad confusing - but here's a good reference: Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

While it seems like a lot of stuff to read and understand, I think you'll be better off with a guide that really explains it well, and completely, rather than a half-baked quick answer.

I just used the info in this article last week to help me sort out how to migrate my iTunes library off of a smallish exteral hard drive on one computer, and onto a 1TB internal hard drive on a new computer.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 9
If I understand your situation correctly, the following steps will suffice:

Esnure that your ipod is disconnected ebfore doing anything.

1) Erase your songs from itunes. It will ask you if you want to keep the files ensure that you say YES!
2) Move your songs to D:
3) Add songs from D: to itunes
4) Plug in your ipod and it should work as before

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 9
This works a treat, and keeps all the playcounts etc....

How to preserve library data when moving music files

Instructions for technically timid folk (on Windows!):

1. Shut down iTunes
2. Make a backup copy of these files:
* iTunes Music Library.xml (on my system, it is located in My Documents/My Music/iTunes)
* iTunes Music Library.itl (on my system, it is located in My Documents/My Music/iTunes)
* If you have the disk space to spare and you are truly paranoid, backup your actual music files as well.
3. Open the itl file in Notepad (or any other text editor, but not in Word or any other word processor).
4. Select all (Ctrl+A) and hit Delete. You should now have an empty file; save it and close the text editor.
5. In Explorer, verify that the file size is indeed now 0Kb. I haven't tried partially damaging the file, but this
method is a sure-fire way.
6. If you haven't already, do whatever you want to do to your music folder(s): move them all to a new drive,
shuffle some of them around, etc.
7. Open the xml file in your favourite text editor and modify the paths as they should be, reflecting the new
location of your music files. Global search and replace comes to mind as a quick way of making these changes.
Don't worry about mistakes--you did take a backup, did you?
8. Save the file and fire up iTunes. Instead of starting normally, it will import the xml file. I have some
14,000-odd entries in it and a dozen playlists. With the files on an external USB2.0 drive, it takes about 1/2 an hour for this to complete, which is indicated by the warning message about how iTunes discovered that your library file had gotten damaged and how it tried to save the day. Click OK.
9. If all is well, you should now be looking at your library, with all data intact and the locations of the music
files updated.

h

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 9
You will probably also need to go into options in iTunes and change where the location of you music files are otherwise when you rip cd's or buy music in the iTunes store it will still be placed in the old location.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 9
If you just want to change the location of the files and nothing else, try this:

1. Go to: Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced
2. Change the 'iTunes Music folder location' to a place of your choice on your D partition
3. Click 'OK'
4. Go to: File -> Library -> Consolidate Library

Once the Consolidate Library function completes and all files have successfully copied to your D partition, you should be safe to delete all the files on your C partition to make space. (may be good to double check your files before deleting)

Good luck!

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 9
^Thanks for the Trick! very good.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by _j_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you just want to change the location of the files and nothing else, try this:

1. Go to: Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced
2. Change the 'iTunes Music folder location' to a place of your choice on your D partition
3. Click 'OK'
4. Go to: File -> Library -> Consolidate Library

Once the Consolidate Library function completes and all files have successfully copied to your D partition, you should be safe to delete all the files on your C partition to make space. (may be good to double check your files before deleting)

Good luck!

This is good for those who are happy to let iTunes use its own directory structure for their music. Personally, I perfer my own.

I should have made that clear when I posted the instructions to move your library with your own structure.

h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back