iTunes Question: download quality
Jan 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #16 of 23
well money isn't that big of an issue. i usually create a HUGE list of cd's i want to buy at best buy whenever i go back to the states. i then lose the list and start buying any band name/artist i see that i've heard of. yet i still forget half the cd's i needed lol.

HD tracks was a bit disappointing. i couldn't even find a single artist i even heard of.

i suppose i'll give itunes a shot. it's my best option right now.

i know this sounds a bit ridiculous but can anyone hear any very apparent difference between itunes AAC and a losless cd?

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 23
OMG, I love you billy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 23
Jan 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 23
Didn't they announce that they have plans to sell lossless in the future at the last Mac Expo?

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ur not really seeing the big picture..in fact ur post is pretty ignorant...

way to win friends and influence people-- I mainly see your ignorance of spelling, and of value.
Quote:

your way..
First off you have to drive or walk or public transportation to a store which sells cd's at $10 (this final price includes tax). ..

I go to CD stores once or twice a year when I'm bored-- usually, I don't buy much because I can find things online much cheaper.

Quote:

so now you have this huge Lossless file, a lossless file compared to a 256 take more space, more space takes more memory, more memory costs more money...

Yes, the files are large but hard drives are cheap. I recently stepped up to two one terrabyte drives configured as a software raid-- cost about $280, but it took about a year of collecting and ripping to hit the 500gb mark which necessitated this upgrade. That's about 31,000 tunes, about 30% of them lossless. I expect to upgrade most of the rest to lossless this year, that's why I wanted the extra space.

Quote:

Let's talk about johnny for a second, oh you got to meet Johnny!

Let's not. How old are you anyway? Ever think of simply communicating without name calling or constructing bogus scenarios?

Quote:

now the itunes way...
You take your cell phone out of your pocket, click two icons, type in the album you want, then finally click the download button. after that put the cell phone back in your pocket and continue what ever you were doing before, a bit later you take your cell phone back out of your pocket and congrats you have a your album fully downloaded DRM free at 256 for $10.
you can do it where ever you get 3G reception or even faster wifi. your also shopping at the largest music retailer in the U.S. so please don't compare the selection to the store you buy the those $10 cd's with that loving tax included.

Does it still strike you as lazy and silly?

Yes. I look for the CD on Amazon. Most of the time it's available used, at around $5.00 more often than not. I order it. I rip it when it arrives. For the average CD with 15 or 20 tracks, that amounts to $15 or $20 at .99 each. Even if I pay close to full price for the CD (with Amazon's free shipping, new) that's still the same price or less than downloading. The files are of higher quality.

Grow up.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't they announce that they have plans to sell lossless in the future at the last Mac Expo?

Yes, I think they did-- with a target price of $1.29 a track, I believe. Still too rich for my blood.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I watched the entire keynote (video) and no lossless (ALAC, Apple Lossless) were mentioned.
But it may be they mentioned it elsewhere.

I sure hope you're right, case then I will seriously consider buying music though iTunes Store. Paying for lossy music is out of the question.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 23
I usually just snag CDs off the web like hypoicon. Ebay is a great place for obscure, old bands. When I realized that iTunes only served 128kbps (a while back. I don't think that they did 256 then), I stopped using the store. I'd rather have the hard copy with better bitrate, just in case I can hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back