iTunes Purchases
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mrdeadfolx

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,
I recently had my computer crash and had to have it reformatted. I had a ton of songs and iPhone apps purchased on my itunes account, and I'm wondering how to get them back? I know you can authorize up to 5 computers per iTunes account, and my comp is authorized, I just need to know how to go to your purchase history and re-download the items you need. If anyone can tell me how, I'd really appreciate it. Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 13
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unfort. Apple does not have such an option. That is why they always warn you to back up stuff after it downloads. Now you can plead with their customer service and maybe they will cut you a break but usually the only way to get the stuff back is to get it off one of the other computers that was authorized and actually held the content.

Sorry man, not a good situation, and not the answer you were looking for- maybe someone else has a workaround.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I've read of -one- case where a similar unfortunate customer gets to redownload all of his library after contacting Apple's customer service numerous times. I don't know how much harassment you have to do here (*G*) to achieve what he\she did.. and I think this case happend quite awhile ago.

Anyway, technically, the 'switch' is with Apple to let you redownload the files. There's no other way than thru their customer support AFAIK.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, their official line is that you should have the files backed up somewhere. Best bet is to call them up and ask (plead) to let you redownload them. They should fix this policy though, it's silly!

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 13
How does one go about getting the songs downloaded onto multiple computers, since they allow authorization for 5 ? I assume iPods are counted as part of the 5, and loading an iPod from your computer is obvious. But how would you transfer songs downloaded onto your home computer to a laptop for example?

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Apple does have a policy that you can redownload all your music if your hard drive crashes. You just have to ask them:
"In the event that a customers entire music library is lost, the iTunes Music Store does re-grant the purchases history. Please keep in mind that Apple does not offer protection against the loss of purchases, so this is a one-time exception."
Get all you iTunes songs back - For free
ITunes: Re-download your lost iTunes music

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does one go about getting the songs downloaded onto multiple computers, since they allow authorization for 5 ? I assume iPods are counted as part of the 5, and loading an iPod from your computer is obvious. But how would you transfer songs downloaded onto your home computer to a laptop for example?

Well one way is if your family has a couple computers that are networked. We have 3 apples, and share music on our home network. My wife drag/ drops stuff from my computer onto hers and vice versa. Others may have their desktop music collection mirrored on their laptop. There are even some software programs that auto sync your computers wirelessly.

And iPods are not counted as the 5. If apple had their way we would all own 20, so it makes no sense for them to limit that, but each iPod is tied to only one computer.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 13
You would also have proof of having the songs before because they should all be presently on your ipod.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 13
@Drag0n: well that part is easy.. Apple has a listing of EVERYTHiNG you've purchased from the iTunes store. (And they also have a listing of your iTunes library and playlists if you turn on the 'Genius' feature within iTunes...).

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 13
If you call apple, or send them an email, they will say that they don't usually let people redownload things but that they will in your case and they will warn you to back up your files. Just to test whether they ever enforce this, one of my friends has "lost all of his files" 3 times in the last year, and they have given him the option to redownload every time, each time saying he won't be able to do it again. Unless they have had a real change of policy, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back