iTunes Plus -- DRM Free
Jun 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(in regard to ALAC offering) I hope you're right about this -- what's the biggest issue, bandwidth cost? 'Cause movies/music videos/tv shows probably all require a big pipe.

Exactly! Bandwidth is not an issues. Cause the average ALAC music file would be something in the 30-40MB area, which is nothing compared to movies and TV shows provided by the same iTunes Store.

Hopefully we will be able to buy ALAC encoded music on iTunes Store sooner, rather than later!
lambda.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(in regard to ALAC offering) I hope you're right about this -- what's the biggest issue, bandwidth cost? 'Cause movies/music videos/tv shows probably all require a big pipe.

No... the biggest issue are those pesky iPod things.

Most people don't want lossless audio on their iPod, as it takes more room, uses more battery (hard drive spins more), and they can't tell the difference anyway.

There's no way to compress lossless audio when transferring it to the iPod. Apple does this for the 1GB iPod shuffle and it takes ages. Any more than 1GB and it's just too long.

So Apple sells compressed music.

The same deal that Apple cut with EMI to sell higher-quality music, any other company can cut to sell lossless. So you shouldn't wait for the iTunes Store to go lossless, but you don't need to either.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AAC 256, ugh. Dumb.

Great post. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calroth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you shouldn't wait for the iTunes Store to go lossless, but you don't need to either.

Not sure I agree. The reason I would want lossless is for my main library. I can burn copies for my DAP verses home audio etc. at a lower bit rate. But, if using this for my archive library, and playing on home audio, why would I not want to have lossless...besides, we're certainly paying as much as a CD costs, (and not even getting the CD), plus all the time and effort to burn.

As long as we are not getting CD quality, (but paying those same prices)...we are getting screwed.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasoncpe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as we are not getting CD quality, (but paying those same prices)...we are getting screwed.

Agree with that, especially as we are also not getting all the original artwork and liner notes. The only files i buy on itunes are ones that i can't get on cd for a reasonable price. However, this amounts to very few.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by h-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree with that, especially as we are also not getting all the original artwork and liner notes. The only files i buy on itunes are ones that i can't get on cd for a reasonable price. However, this amounts to very few.

Along these lines I only buy old school singles of stuff that were one-offs anyway. Mostly R&B, some pop, and very very seldomly to hear a track that I should probably be familiar with (my pop culture education).

So I think that brick and mortar stores have suffered because of internet commerce, but I don't think they're out of the game. Their business model might require a bit of updating, but that's the nature of competition, right? Anyway, I mean to say by all of this that I will always prefer going to a store and purchasing a physical product than anything else.

How long until iPod refill stations are available when you're walking down the street and want to hear a song, you plug your iPod into the kiosk and download the song using your CC. I don't at all look forward to the day.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #52 of 59
Hmmmm...so when I went to the "upgrade my library" to upgrade a few 128k tracks I had bought to the new 256k ones, iTunes included in the list of songs to be "upgraded" some lossless tracks from CDs I had ripped! I don't want to be charged 30 cents to downgrade a bunch of lossless tracks of mine to 256k files! LOL, and What? Anyone else have this happen?

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasoncpe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I agree. The reason I would want lossless is for my main library. I can burn copies for my DAP verses home audio etc. at a lower bit rate. But, if using this for my archive library, and playing on home audio, why would I not want to have lossless...besides, we're certainly paying as much as a CD costs, (and not even getting the CD), plus all the time and effort to burn.

Apple makes next to no money on the iTunes Store. It is there purely to drive iPod sales. At least at this point in time.

I have no doubt that lossless audio is a noble goal and something that lots of people want. But if you want Apple to do it, you're asking the wrong company. Apple won't sell lossless out of the goodness of their heart, they will do it only if they figure out how it can increase iPod sales.

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great post. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

I was expressing my dismay with the format and more imporantly the bitrate, I'm deeply sorry I've offended you. I love the idea of having DRM free music from iTunes but I can't get excited with those being the files offered.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless though, you are stuck with AAC which can only be used on apple stuff.

The USB port on the new BMWs will play AAC.

The very latest BMWs have an optional USB port. YOu can plug in a memory stick or an iPod.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...so when I went to the "upgrade my library" to upgrade a few 128k tracks I had bought to the new 256k ones, iTunes included in the list of songs to be "upgraded" some lossless tracks from CDs I had ripped! I don't want to be charged 30 cents to downgrade a bunch of lossless tracks of mine to 256k files! LOL, and What? Anyone else have this happen?

Did you also at one time buy those tracks off of iTunes? I was under the impression that the iTunes Store read from your purchase history to determine upgrades, not from your current library. If you had bought those songs and then replaced them with your lossless copies, that would explain why they're showing up again.

On the other hand, the iTunes Plus stuff does seem to act funny. I upgraded the tracks on those exclusive Gorillaz EPs and 1) it hasn't offered to upgrade the videos and 2) it still shows those tracks as needing to be upgraded in the store.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you also at one time buy those tracks off of iTunes? I was under the impression that the iTunes Store read from your purchase history to determine upgrades, not from your current library. If you had bought those songs and then replaced them with your lossless copies, that would explain why they're showing up again.

A-HA! That is the answer. Thanks. Still silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back