iTunes Plus -- DRM Free
May 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 59
It works. Wasn't quite glitch free for me.
Download new version of iTunes. Restart computer. Because my iPod is connected, iTunes starts up before the upgrade completes. Error message. ooops. Have to re-install iTunes, then it works. Disconnect your iPod before doing the upgrade. At least on WinXP. MacOS version may not have this bug.

In iTunes store there is a new preference for iTunes Plus. If you set it the store will show you the DRM free version, if available. I got another error message when I first tried to set this flag. Second time worked fine.

Entire Album prices are the same as the DRM free version. You don't pay extra if you purchase entire album. Single tracks are $1.29 instead of $.99 -- At least for the half dozen titles I looked at.

Complete my album has a new set of rules. If your existing tracks are DRM, you have to upgrade them to DRM free before you can complete my album in DRM free. It will be a pain to do, but that is the way to go since the album prices are unchanged. If you've got a lot of tracks to upgrade you could end up paying more than the $9.99 most older albums cost.

CMA rules:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305563

Upgrades are all or nothing. I'm not happy about this.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305567
Any available upgrades will be shown on the Upgrade My Library page (Music received for free is not eligible for upgrade.). You can upgrade all music at once by using the Buy button. This replaces all music you've bought previously on iTunes with available iTunes Plus versions of the same music. You cannot choose which songs, music videos or albums to upgrade individually. Song upgrades are available for $0.30, video upgrades for $0.60, and albums for 30% of the album price. iTunes Plus music will continually be added to iTunes, so check back often to find new music available for upgrading
As far as I can tell, upgrade my library isn't turned on yet. I can't find it anywhere. Even it it was, I doubt I'll do it, since I'd have to upgrade everything I've ever purchased.

May 30, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 59
Cool, finally, I can't wait to try it out!

May 30, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 59
DRM_FREE.PNG

It works.

May 30, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 59
Do they sell lossless non-DRM files? Otherwise it's a waste of money, IMHO (you'd be much better off with an actual CD in hand).

May 30, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 59
Finally!
Now the waiting game begins for Apple Lossless files through iTunes Store...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally!
Now the waiting game begins for Apple Lossless files through iTunes Store...
smily_headphones1.gif

That will be the paradigm shift.

May 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 59
Nice.... too bad I switched to Rhapsody's subscription based service. Maybe I'll use both!?!?
blink.gif

If you don't already know...Rhapsody allows you to download from their online library (currently 1million+) onto your device for a set monthly fee ~14.

With my 0404 setup, I couldn't tell a difference in SQ from Apples's lossless and Rhapsody.

May 30, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more important question: How do these sound? If they're the real deal, I'll actually start using iTunes again.

This is soooo subjective. Best thing is to pay $1.29 for a track that you can A/B vs. a lossless copy ripped from CD.

I'm satisfied with the quality of the single Album I purchased today.

Its important to remember that even CDs are compressed. I was able to hear the difference between a 16-bit 44.1 CD and linear PCM DVDs. (I A/B compared a CD vs. a DVD of the same live album)

May 30, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they sell lossless non-DRM files?

No. Non DRM is 256kbps AAC. DRM is 128kbps AAC.

The real news is that EMI has gone through with the DRM free agreement. There were rumors they were going to pull out. If EMI does well with this, the others will follow. Apple has offered the same deal to other labels. We may also see DRM free music from other sources besides iTunes.

Quote:

Otherwise it's a waste of money, IMHO (you'd be much better off with an actual CD in hand).

For me it depends on the recording. There is lots of commercial music where I can't tell the difference between 256k AAC and the actual CD. In other cases 256kbps is good enough. For me the more expensive physical CD is a waste of money. Just like the physical CD, I can now make as many copies and burn as many CDs as I care to.

May 30, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its important to remember that even CDs are compressed. I was able to hear the difference between a 16-bit 44.1 CD and linear PCM DVDs. (I A/B compared a CD vs. a DVD of the same live album)

Are you certain you were comparing the same master?

May 30, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you certain you were comparing the same master?

No. I'm only sure it was the same performance. In any case the CD wasn't as good.

There will alway be a better medium than what Apple is selling in the store. The music store is driven by iPod capability, consumer bandwidth and perceptions of the general public. Poorly compressed 128kpbs mp3 has become the accepted norm. They aren't going to be selling uncompressed 96KHz 24-bit DRM free audio any time soon.

May 30, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 59
I've upgraded my EMI tracks - 28 out of 678(!) iTMS purchased tracks and bought an additional iTunes Plus album.

Very happy with the quality - it's noticeably better for some of my upgraded tracks. I expect this isn't just the difference between 128 and 256 - it'll be partly because they've thought a bit more about the ripping quality when re-ripping for a premium price tag.

It's still better to buy CDs and rip lossless, but:

- Removing DRM is a huge breakthrough for online music stores.

- Such stores realising that their customers care about ripping quality is a Good Thing (TM) - hopefully this paves the way for a lossless option...

- I can now get good quality DRM-free tracks instantly when I'm too impatient to order the CD
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back