Itunes---> iRiver iHP-120 problems
Oct 27, 2006 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

the Jackal

100+ Head-Fier
I've started to transfer over some of the songs from my Mac to my recently acquired iRiver through Itunes. I thought all was going well until I tried to open some of the albums I recently put on. It showed all the artist and album but when I try to open any album there are no songs on the iRiver.

Then when I got home I connected it back up to my computer,thinking it was user error. But when I connected it it showed all the songs and albums in the correct location. I then checked the format of the songs and they are all labeled .mp4. I tried converting to Lossless then but got pwned since I purchased my albums off the Itunes Music Store. Any advice/info is appreciated.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 7
The only way you'll be able to do what you want is to either crack apple's licensing scheme or burn the albums to cd and reimport them as mp3.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by the Jackal
I tried converting to Lossless then but got pwned since I purchased my albums off the Itunes Music Store. Any advice/info is appreciated.

This is why DRM is of no benefit and actually harms consumers. You can only legally play those tracks with itunes on an authorized computer or on an ipod.

A perfect opportunity to pimp: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

p.s. The iriver couldn't play aac files (what your mp4 files are) even without the DRM, unless you were using Rockbox, then there is limited unprotected aac support.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 7
At least with the few albums I purchased off of iTunes, the quality loss was very minimal if you transcode to "--alt-preset standard" or "-V 2" LAME MP3.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Would I still run into all of my problems if I tried burning with Itunes that I'd use to re-import to mp3 format?

Also, are there any Mac friendly bittorrent sites out there? Which ones do you guys recommend?

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Burn to CD and use this. Once the files are burnt to CD the DRM is no more. You'll have no more DRM problems. And mods should this be considered for deletion (it's happened), burning is expressly given in the iTMS licensing.

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 7
Holy 4x import batman! I had no idea it was this time consuming to convert to mp3.

Thanks for the help guys but it'd really help me out if you could shoot me a pm that contains some non drm and mac & iriver friendly bittorrent sites. Hope that isnt too tall of a order to fill.

Prost,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back