iTunes EQ
Jan 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Arboginge911

100+ Head-Fier
So I realize that iTunes EQ sucks, a lot. They distort they sound and all that whatnot, but I would like to give my bass frequencies a slight boost. How do I go about doing this? Is there an option in iTunes where I can slide that and store it on my ipod, or do I need to download a completely new music player in order to do such? 
I'm completely new when it comes to EQ's and all this fancy stuff, so any little help would be greatly appreciated! 
Thanks so much

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 12
There might be a way to use a good EQ with itunes but I don't know.

You're probably better off switching to a player that lest you use VST plugins.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Edit: Instructions only worked on music played from iPod over computer, not over headphones.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 12
the iTunes eq is limited. But remember to always EQ down. (e.g. if you want more bass, don't boost the bass channels, reduce the mid and treble channels, etc.) That will minimize modulation distortion. 

(custom eq's cannot easily be added to your iPod. You can tag them to a song, and re-sync the song to the iPod which will preserve the eq settings - but only for that song. If you want to eq all your music, you have to pre-apply settings and re-sync it all - total PIA). 

if you are on a mac, and expect to do this often - I'd get something like Audio Hijack Pro, which will let you use AU or VST plugins to add in better EQ's (as well as crossfeed options). This doesn't do anything for your portable use, unfortunately. I have not found a good option for portable. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions as to which players I should use?

I use foobar2000 with a plugin that lets you use VST plugins.  I know other people like the JRiver player which also supports VST plugins.

You can use something simple but high quality like this linear phase graphic equalizer or something a little more complicated like a parametric EQ.  If you go with foobar, the xnor EQ plugin is another good choice.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
The latest iPods are great sources.  Their amp/dac sections are real clean and neutral, a close rival to my Music Streamer and Little Dot.  Just don't touch their EQ.

thanks, this is a relief to know. i dont wanna spend money on an audiophile portable player when i already bought the ipod before i got more serious about audio. im not going to do anything with the eq anyway, i like it the way it is, i dont bother to tamper with it. and im thinking of pairing my ipod up with the fiio e 17 (ill buy that when i get money), think it will be a good combo? im using my etymotic research hf 5 now without any amp on my ipod but when i get the e 17, ill start bringing my sennheiser pxc 450 around even if its a lil too big. 

May 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 12
I love my iPod and I just use a Foobar2k plug-in to get my sound files onto my iPod. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back