iTunes does not rip accurate audio data
Jan 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #76 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People here mock you when you make claims and can't substantiate them.
People here mock you when you make claims and you CAN substantiate them.
It's a lose-lose situation.

You didn't give anyone a chance to help you figure out what's going wrong.

Did you select CD Diagnostics from the Help menu and post the results?

If you are having bitcompare differences between ALAC->WAV and the original WAV, then there is clearly something wrong, and we're more than happy to help you figure out what that is. But jumping to the conclusion that ALAC is not really lossless is a bit (or several million bits) premature on your part.

--Chris

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #77 of 199
1. It is most likely a volume difference, hence Febs guessing the track length (in which case, EVERY sample is different)
2. Audible difference or not, just use EAC with the correct settings for a secure rip with FLAC.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #79 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ripped a track from CD to Apple lossless with iTunes and the same track from CD to Wav with EAC using the default settings in both programs, loaded them both up in Foobar and ran the binary comparator.

No differences at all.

shocking you mean lossless is actually lossless
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #81 of 199
Quote:

I just ripped a track from CD to Apple lossless with iTunes and the same track from CD to Wav with EAC using the default settings in both programs, loaded them both up in Foobar and ran the binary comparator.

No differences at all.

What operating system are you using? And what version of iTunes?

I am using iTunes 7.5 and Vista 32-bit.

Apple should pay us for beta testing their software (that should never have made it past beta).
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #85 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so just as TMM suggested, every sample is wrong. That suggests to me that either there is a volume difference, or perhaps the files are not quite the same length. Is there any chance that you could post samples to download?

Sure. When I get home I will do that. I did that once before for two files to compare but I forget which hosting site I used. Does anyone know which hosting site I can use to host the two files?

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #86 of 199
Quote:

7.6 straight from the box, ripped the CD track again, compared vs WAV using FOOBAR comparator , still identical, thought the rip was far slower this time
confused.gif

That's interesting. I wonder if the problem could be native to Vista.... as if we didn't know that Vista stinks.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #87 of 199
iTunes on Windows must just suck. I can never understand why people hate iTunes. I absolutely love it- its one of the few applications that actually continues to grow on me. Part of my confusion on its reputation must come from the fact that I use it on a Mac.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #89 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes on Windows must just suck. I can never understand why people hate iTunes. I absolutely love it- its one of the few applications that actually continues to grow on me. Part of my confusion on its reputation must come from the fact that I use it on a Mac.

Yup. iTunes for Mac is a different animal than for PC. When everyone starts using Unix-based operating systems like OSX and Linux, these problems will cease to exist. Everything Microsoft is garbage (and has always been).

FYI, do you know Microsoft purposely inflates their software size to take up more hard drive space? They do this so that inexperienced people will keep having to upgrade their hardware, which usually means a new computer, which also means another sale for Microsoft. Several open source teams analyzed the code for Microsoft Office and found that it was 40 times larger than it needed to be.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #90 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a 24" Intel iMac and run both Mac OS X and Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (via Boot Camp). As far as I can tell iTunes is the same on both platforms.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back