iTunes does not rip accurate audio data
Jan 29, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #46 of 199
Febs the Audio Sleuth solved it!
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #47 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In EAC, go to "EAC Options" --> "Normalize," and make sure that the "normalize to" option is unchecked.

Well there you have it. Nothing necessarily wrong with iTunes or ALAC, just different processing being applied between the programs.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #48 of 199
Quote:

Bingo.

In EAC, go to "EAC Options" --> "Normalize," and make sure that the "normalize to" option is unchecked.

Nope, my normalize button is not checked. My EAC is not normalizing anything.

EAC isn't the problem, iTunes is. Put a CD in your drive and play it through Foobar. Then pick a song and rip a WAV file through iTunes and a WAV file with EAC. You will be able to easily tell that the one extracted with EAC sounds exactly like the CD playing in the drive. The one ripped from iTunes does not.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #49 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then rip a WAV file through iTunes and the same one with EAC. You will be able to easily tell that the one extracted with EAC sounds exactly like the CD playing in the drive. The one ripped from iTunes does not.

Did you not read my post? I just did exactly this, and confirmed that the EAC rip and an iTunes rip are identical.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #50 of 199
Quote:

Nope, my normalize button is not checked. My EAC is not normalizing anything.

EAC isn't the problem, iTunes is. Put a CD in your drive and play it through Foobar. Then pick a song and rip a WAV file through iTunes and a WAV file with EAC. You will be able to easily tell that the one extracted with EAC sounds exactly like the CD playing in the drive. The one ripped from iTunes does not.

Worryingly I just checked my settings and normalize isn't checked on mine either. The problem at least with the comparisons seems to be EAC since the iTunes rip compared exactly with the source WAV.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #51 of 199
Quote:

Did you not read my post? I just did exactly this, and confirmed that the EAC rip and an iTunes rip are identical.

Yes, I see what you did. That's what I've been doing all along and the results are different.

Bigshot,
I'm going to try iTunes with error correction mode enabled and see what results I get. Hopefully then they will be identical.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #52 of 199
Quote:

Bingo.

Comparison of iTunes rip with EAC rip with the "normalize" option unchecked in EAC:

THANKS Febs! I just spent the last 2 weeks ripping all my CDs to ALAC using iTunes+error correction. This thread had me sweating until this post of yours.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #53 of 199
Quote:

Yes, I see what you did. That's what I've been doing all along and the results are different.

Bigshot,
I'm going to try iTunes with error correction mode enabled and see what results I get. Hopefully then they will be identical.

It is entirely possible that a bad rip is the issue. I happened to do my test with a brand new CD that I literally just opened, so it's not too surprising that my rips were the same even without error correction mode enabled.

Just to eliminate one other potential issue, in iTunes, check under "Advanced" --> "Importing" --> "Setting." What setting do you have selected? (If you have the sample rate set to something less than 44.1kHz, that would explain why you're experience a high-end rolloff.)

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #54 of 199
Ok, iTunes with error correction mode enabled did not work at all. I tried it with two CDs.

It made the CD player sound like it was grinding against a belt sander, off and on for about 2 minutes. Then it showed the green checkmark symbol to indicate it copied, but nothing at all copied except the file name. The progress bar didn't move one iota and the new files now listed in iTunes have a time of 0:00.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #55 of 199
Quote:

It is entirely possible that a bad rip is the issue. I happened to do my test with a brand new CD that I literally just opened, so it's not too surprising that my rips were the same even without error correction mode enabled.

Just to eliminate one other potential issue, in iTunes, check under "Advanced" --> "Importing" --> "Setting." What setting do you have selected? (If you have the sample rate set to something less than 44.1kHz, that would explain why you're experience a high-end rolloff.)

It is set for 44.1.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #56 of 199
Quote:

It made the CD player sound like it was grinding against a belt sander, off and on for about 2 minutes. Then it showed the green checkmark symbol to indicate it copied, but nothing at all copied except the file name. The progress bar didn't move one iota and the new files now listed in iTunes have a time of 0:00.

First, ensure you are running the latest version of iTunes. Make sure you have a good, clean (non-scratched) CD in the drive. Next, what happens when you select Run CD Diagnostics... from the help menu?

Can you post the results of that test, it might help us understand what is going wrong.

Thanks,
--Chris

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #57 of 199
Screw it. I'm giving up. I can't get the EAC results to match the data on the CD no matter what I do. I suspect the problem might have something to do with the offset correction, but after trying about 20 different CDs I can't find one that is on the offset correction database. Normalize is not checked so thats not the problem.

Regardless ALAC or iTunes is not the problem. If the data is the same there should be no difference in what you hear.

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #59 of 199
Quote:

Ok, iTunes with error correction mode enabled did not work at all. I tried it with two CDs. It made the CD player sound like it was grinding against a belt sander, off and on for about 2 minutes

That is unquestionably a hardware issue. Your optical drive must be having problems.

See ya
Steve

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #60 of 199
Quote:

Bingo.

Comparison of iTunes rip with EAC rip with the "normalize" option unchecked in EAC:

Now I can sleep peacefully at night
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Ok, iTunes with error correction mode enabled did not work at all. I tried it with two CDs.

eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use wav files. problem solved.

You haven't quite got the gist of this thread, have you?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back