iTunes dilemma; help and/or suggstions/educated guesses would be appreciated!
Jan 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there,

I'm relatively new to iTunes and am feeling my way into it's slightly different and aschew ways of working and doing things- figuring out how to pull it's strings so it's 'user-friendly, convenient' interface does what I want- but I've come a cropper at one unfathomable situation. I got to importing specific album folders- both through dragging and dropping into itunes music section/title of library and then, for the concerned folders, importing a single folder through 'File'- and these particular folders just don't start to transfer (and, ultimately, don't transfer full stop)! Bizarre. It's as though a block between my external hard-drive (from where I'm importing into iTunes) and iTunes, itself, for these particular folders has ocured and it's just not having any of it when I attempt, and no matter how many times I attempt, to transfer them, via either method, to my iTunes library! It's so frustrating!

Any advise, suggestions or know how (from experience?) would be greatly appreciated! I'm using iTunes 8 in Windows XP OP; thanks in advance!

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 17
I haven't used itunes for a long time because of its audio shortcomings, but since you are soliciting "educated guesses," I'll start with a basic question: what types of files are in the folders you're attempting to import?

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't used itunes for a long time because of its audio shortcomings, but since you are soliciting "educated guesses," I'll start with a basic question: what types of files are in the folders you're attempting to import?

Thanks for the response, and for inquiring the obvious! However, I'm pretty certain the type of audio file (codec) isn't the shortcoming, as I am trying to import Lame Mp3 files at 320 Kbps. In windows explorer, I have my folder hierarchy ordered as root folder- Artist name, to secondary folder(s) album name(s). Tertiary folders may be involved when either or, I have a secondary folder for another outlet of an artist (e.g. root folder Jimi Hendrix, then secondary folders comprise of, firstly, albums for Jimi Hendrix, then another secondary folder, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, for which then tertiary folders would be albums under that 'subcategory' of artist). Or, where an album/compilation, under an artist, has more than one disc ie Disc x, y, z... become tertiary folders. The album folders contain .FLAC, lossless archival audio files. Within the album folder, I have another folder (bearing the same name as the album folder), which then contains the .FLAC files converted into the concerned mp3 files, ripped at 320 kbps, and the concerned album art. These are what I am in the throws of transferring to iTunes, for use with my new ipod classic 120 GB, and which some are failing to transfer (despite coming from the same external hard-drive, being organised in the same way as all other albums/folders that are successfully being imported to itunes from this hard-drive, and, being in an audio file format itunes accomodates).

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rule: never use iTunes, especially if you are using windows. Cause it sucks. Use mediamonkey or foobar2000.

Really?!
smily_headphones1.gif
I thought ipods, iphones etc were locked down to itunes as their propietary software? I have and use MediaMonkey to organise music on my Sony NWZ-A829, but I was always led to believe ipods were locked down to use only with iTunes (this propietary software is often cited as a criticism and/or reason for ppl ruling out ipods for themselves).

Actually, come to think of it, I did use (or attempt to use, rather) mediamonkey to transfer some albums to my ipod several weeks back- before I formally purchased it and I had it on it's returns period with several other DAPs- and, though the folders successfully transferred to the ipod, they never integrated into the ipod's music library, and, instead were left 'floating' as playlists. I guess I did something wrong there or didn't customise the synch right or something? Also, though I like MediaMonkey, when you have a batch of new albums to put on a player and/or wish to remove more than one-batch of music from a portable device, there's no option to do and/or set all this to complete at once I could find, and you have to attentively/manually do it one at a time, which,needless to say, can become tedious! Can MediaMonkey be programmed to accomodate such batch transfer and/or removal and/or, does Foobar2000, which I've yet to download or use, accomodate this? Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, and for inquiring the obvious! However, I'm pretty certain the type of audio file (codec) isn't the shortcoming, as I am trying to import Lame Mp3 files at 320 Kbps. In windows explorer, I have my folder hierarchy ordered as root folder- Artist name, to secondary folder(s) album name(s). Tertiary folders may be involved when either or, I have a secondary folder for another outlet of an artist (e.g. root folder Jimi Hendrix, then secondary folders comprise of, firstly, albums for Jimi Hendrix, then another secondary folder, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, for which then tertiary folders would be albums under that 'subcategory' of artist). Or, where an album/compilation, under an artist, has more than one disc ie Disc x, y, z... become tertiary folders. The album folders contain .FLAC, lossless archival audio files. Within the album folder, I have another folder (bearing the same name as the album folder), which then contains the .FLAC files converted into the concerned mp3 files, ripped at 320 kbps, and the concerned album art. These are what I am in the throws of transferring to iTunes, for use with my new ipod classic 120 GB, and which some are failing to transfer (despite coming from the same external hard-drive, being organised in the same way as all other albums/folders that are successfully being imported to itunes from this hard-drive, and, being in an audio file format itunes accomodates).

OK...appears that file type (codec) is not the issue since you're trying to import mp3s, as I understand it. I asked because itunes doesn't support FLAC and other more esoteric codecs (ogg vorbis ?) and, as I recall (like I said, I haven't used it in a long time), it will just sit there if you try to import these excluded file types. But if you're using the file-> import rather than the folder -> import command it shouldn't be a problem.

Let me just throw in a suggestion in the "you can have your cake and eat it too" category: winamp (in addition to foobar, which I use, and media monkey, which the guy above mentioned) is ipod-friendly IIRC. And it will give you superior audio output with the proper plugins and configuration (ASIO, KS). You might want to consider it. I have it on my 'puter just because it organizes my files beautifully (and looks good too), although I use foobar for my daily listening sessions, as I said before.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rule: never use iTunes, especially if you are using windows. Cause it sucks. Use mediamonkey or foobar2000.

And you have of course experience from running iTunes on Mac OS X!
wink.gif

Cause iTunes on MS Windows is a totally different experience than on OS X...

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 17
I am using both fubar and itunes. I cant really tell the difference....

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Have you tried to move the folder to a nother location, just se see if that works,
Are you sure the filse are not already added?

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried to move the folder to a nother location, just se see if that works,
Are you sure the filse are not already added?

I have not tried to move the folders to another location, no (though this has occured to me as an obvious option to try to, perhaps, get round the import 'block' I'm experiencing with these select folders, it would screw up my digital music library archive and system and so I have not deigned to do it yet). I suppose I could copy (and not move) the folders to another location, and try that, but, as I'm currently not duplicating the folders/files I import into my iTunes library in my iTunes music folder, and, thus, the represenations of them folders/files in my iTunes library are but links to the actual real location of the folders/files concerned, then I don't really want to have a different source location for some album's folders than the majority making synch awkward and inconsistent in the future ie some folders are located elsewhere to the majority and having record and remember those disparities.

Answering your second question, no, I'm not certain the files are not already added to my iTunes music library (though, this is because I am not wholly yet confident in my grasp with using and/or navigating iTunes). However, they are nowhere to be found- displayed; that could be the key thing, as they are not being displayed but perhaps they are, technically there somewhere and just not being displayed- in my itune's library, in either of music, photo, video or playlist sections. The funny thing is, I went, using MediaMonkey, to transfer some of the concerned albums to my Sony NWZ-A829- to listen to whilst I couldn't get them in iTunes to use with my ipod- and, opening those folders in MediaMonkey, the track listing had completely disappeared (though the file sizes, scrolling across laterally, were still displayed)! This had happened with all the album folders that had been encounteing problems/blocks transfering to my itunes music library, either in full/all tracks, or partially-predominatly/with some to most tracks.

Presuming there was some connection there, logically, and as these album folders would now not, using MediaMonkey, transfer to my Sony DAP, I resorted to deleting all these affected folders and re-converting the root .FLAC files- via DBpoweramp's batch converter- and segragating the new mp3 files from the .FLAC, in the root folders, and then refoldering the freshly produced mp3 files. This is where I've encountered this problem anew and in force!: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/na...llowed-404657/: as I've extended the titles of the artists and/or album folders to encompass more, to me, prevalent details about the artist and/or album (version), I'd prefer to record.

Once I've successfully organised the above and have the fresh versions of the above affected folders ready and fully prepped to import into iTunes (or anwhere else for that matter), I could try importing them again and seeing if re-ripping and creating those folders and their contents again works. However, as I can't forse or not this happening again, with these new copies of the above affected folders and/or with new and independent folders in the future, I'm more inclined to try synching my ipod for music transfer, removal and library/media mangaement and organisation, with an alternative media mangement program to iTunes (ie, MediaMonkey, Foobar 2000 or winamp)!

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Let me just throw in a suggestion in the "you can have your cake and eat it too" category: winamp (in addition to foobar, which I use, and media monkey, which the guy above mentioned) is ipod-friendly IIRC. And it will give you superior audio output with the proper plugins and configuration (ASIO, KS). You might want to consider it. I have it on my 'puter just because it organizes my files beautifully (and looks good too), although I use foobar for my daily listening sessions, as I said before.

Thanks for your further response, firstly!

Secondly, having now been made aware that ipods can be used in co-ordinatiom with alternative media mangement programs such as Media Monkey or Fobar 2000, I am definately gona look into utilising those in place of iTunes! However, the example you mention, winamp, is this an example, like the above two, of an alternative media management program? (I have heard of winamp- and, if I'm not mistaken, it may have more than one conjunction of use- but had never associated it with being a media management program; I thought it was a codec or ripper or converter or something!) If I've understood you correctly, nd with your recommendation- and, of course for the desire to try and gain experience with another media mangement program; Foobar 2000's been in my remit for that purpose anyway- I'll definately look into it!

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, the example you mention, winamp, is this an example, like the above two, of an alternative media management program?

Yes...absolutely. The newest version -- 5.541 -- was created from the ground floor up and was intended to compete directly with itunes. In my, and many others', opinion, it has met that objective in spades. It does everything itunes does -- only better. If it weren't for foobar and its customization and light weight, I'd be using winamp as my every day player. Like I said earlier, it's on my computer and I use it to organize my media, and as a backup player. It can do essentially everything foobar can, and actually looks prettier.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 17
To me Itunes is the best i have tried for ease and benefit. Foobar is good but i think its more overrated on these forums then what it really is...
(just like FLAC and ALAC files)
anyway everyone has their own likes so rock with whatever that floats your boat, as long as its not media player from Micro...eeewww

i don't understand what the OP is asking for, how to import files?
if i am taking off a usb drive or a sd card i drag the folder (album) into itunes, but if i am loading from my converter i open "add folder to Library".

do you have your itunes setup to copy into its own folder?

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Yes...absolutely. The newest version -- 5.541 -- was created from the ground floor up and was intended to compete directly with itunes. In my, and many others', opinion, it has met that objective in spades. It does everything itunes does -- only better. If it weren't for foobar and its customization and light weight, I'd be using winamp as my every day player. Like I said earlier, it's on my computer and I use it to organize my media, and as a backup player. It can do essentially everything foobar can, and actually looks prettier.

Thanks for the confirmation and further explanation!

I have dowloaded and installed the latest, stable versions- to the best of my awareness- of both these Media Management programs and am about to check em out and suss em out in a bit (and see which one I'd prefer to use with my ipod and/or Sony NWZ-A829, and how they compare to ITunes and MediaMonkey for myself)! Move on from that itunes nightmare
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me Itunes is the best i have tried for ease and benefit. Foobar is good but i think its more overrated on these forums then what it really is...
(just like FLAC and ALAC files)
anyway everyone has their own likes so rock with whatever that floats your boat, as long as its not media player from Micro...eeewww

i don't understand what the OP is asking for, how to import files?
if i am taking off a usb drive or a sd card i drag the folder (album) into itunes, but if i am loading from my converter i open "add folder to Library".

do you have your itunes setup to copy into its own folder?

Re-read my posts. I believe I explained myself quite clearly. I have also already anwsered your last question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back