itunes converter
Oct 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

imhungry29

New Head-Fier
i am wondering if there is a free file converter out there that will convert my mp4 or protected aac to mp3. i just got a new sony walkman x and i cant use any of my library on it. kinda sucks but i just need a little help tahnks in advance

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 7
iTunes itself can convert aac and alac files to mp3 (though not drm protected file from iTunes store, nothing I know of can convert them). You set you ripping preferences to be mp3 and then select the files you want to convert, right-click and there will be an option that says something like "Convert to mp3". Be warned however that if the files you convert are aac (already compressed files) the mp3 files will be further reduced quality as you are then compressing compressed music. Essentially this means that if you have 320 kb aac and convert that to 320 kb mp3 what you get will probably at best be equal to ripping the cd to 196 kb mp3 or even worse.

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 7
DRM protected AAC files can not legally be transcoded...
For other AAC files you can use iTunes, although transcoding between lossy codecs is not recommended sound quality wise.

Edit:
For DRM protected AAC files you can burn them to CD, then rip to MP3 though.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 7
A long method: Use a recording program to record the sound output of whatever is playing on your pc straight to a wav file. Audio hijack is an example (but i think thats for mac only).

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 7
I knew this would be an amusing thread. How many other ways can you guys come up with?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DRM protected AAC files can not legally be transcoded...
For other AAC files you can use iTunes, although transcoding between lossy codecs is not recommended sound quality wise.

Edit:
For DRM protected AAC files you can burn them to CD, then rip to MP3 though.

This is a matter of semantics. Apple clearly states (and provides instructions) that it is legal to burn your DRMed AAC files and then re-rip them back into iTunes.

There are a couple of programs that can do this with a virtual drive instead of your CDR drive. You burn virtual CDs and then rerip them back into iTunes. This doesn't break law in way whatsoever as you are not actually transcoding the files, but merely burning/ripping the songs.

Alas, you will still loose quality. I have this problem too, as I have about 50 CDs worth of jpop purchased on iTunes Japan...and they have yet to implement a program to upgrade all of the Japan iTunes files to DRM-free versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back