iTunes - Auto library management
Apr 13, 2008 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

poo

1000+ Head-Fier
I use iTunes to manage a few different libraries on two machines (and various iPods). There is a feature common to many media players (and I'm sure it is, or at least used to be avaliable in iTunes) which allows you to set the player to "auto update" its library by "watching" a specific folder.

As an example, I could set iTunes to always update its library by watching a folder containing all new music rips. When a new CD is ripped to that folder, the music is added to iTunes.

Does this feature exist in iTunes? I don't want iTunes to 'manage my music library' (by which I mean the feature 'Let iTunes manage my music library'). I have had this feature cause serious havok in the past, taking many days to rectify...

My next (related) question is if it is possible to share the same library file between OSX and Win XP? I have tried, but the library files seem to be in different formats and not recognisable between OS's

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Hey Poo - Nice to chat with you over here as well! As far as I know iTunes will not monitor a folder like other apps. This is why you always have to rescan your music location if you use a local library file with music stored on a network and another computer rips music to the network folder. Your local library won't auto discover the new music.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Funny you mention that - had considered posting this on your (damn good) site aswell
wink.gif

I'm sure it used to be a feature of iTunes, but I may well have it confused with some other app from years ago...

My problem is that for one of my systems, updating the library is a royal PITA! Runs totally wirelessly and takes for ever to update (especially if I reload the entire library - I presume that's what you mean by 'rescan your music location').

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 8
I use this Applescript and create a folder action (I am assuming you mean on a mac).

on adding folder items to my_folder after receiving the_files
repeat with i from 1 to number of items in the_files
tell application "iTunes"
launch
try
set this_file to (item i of the_files)

add this_file

(*
-- if you have iTunes set to
--"Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"
-- then you might want to delete the original file...
-- if so, remove comments from this block and
-- use the UNIX commands below to delete the file

set the file_path to the quoted form of the POSIX path of this_file
do shell script ("rm -f " & file_path)

*)
end try
end tell
end repeat
end adding folder items to

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks bowraboy - I'm sure it would work a treat for my Mac system if I understood it
redface.gif

I guess a little Googling might be on the cards - thanks for the lead though!

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Would be surprised if you don't find a script at Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Welcome that watch a folder and add new items to iTunes. Head over and take a look.

Regarding sharing the iTunes Library between Mac OS X and MS Windows. The file paths are totally different (/Users/your_username/Music/ vs. ???), and hence you can't move the library over and have it work. Might be possible to edit file paths in the file though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back