its upgrade time!!
Mar 15, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #16 of 20
But lets not forget that a significant number of Senns purchasers bought the HD600/HD580 on strictly the basis of sound, and not just price.

Certainly not more than a minority here receintly, but still a fair number at that.

So a "fine tuning" of Senns sound really should be determined prior to deciding.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 20
Mar 16, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well im using a vintage pioneer stereo amplifier as my amp right now, and it sounds great to me, would it be enough to drive the HD 650's properly?? And what about the HD 595 they look really nice.

When I bought the HD650s I didn't yet have a dedicated amp, I ran them straight from the headphone jack on my 1820m dock. This, I think, should be roughly equivalent to the headphone jack on a decent receiver or integrated amp, although I don’t have one on hand to verify that. Needless to say, as they appear in my sig. below, I liked them enough to keep them with the setup I had as a step up from my first full size cans the HD280s.

Not only did I like them enough to keep them, I liked them enough to keep BOTH the Senns and the k701s when I had originally intended to buy both on a trial and return the other. They improve over the HD280s in the areas of clarity, detail, soundstage and bass control. They are also, in comparison with the 280s, more open in presentation, as the 280s can sometimes feel a bit congested.

I can’t comment on the HD595s as I don’t have any experience with them. Something we should have asked from the beginning was, what kind of music are you into?

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well im using a vintage pioneer stereo amplifier as my amp right now, and it sounds great to me, would it be enough to drive the HD 650's properly?? And what about the HD 595 they look really nice.

The problem with stereo amps and receivers as headphone amps can be a tough one. A lot depends on the output circuit of the unit and whether it supplies sufficient current....and voltage...to drive the phones. Where the problem comes in, is there are no guidelines to follow! Source devices and receivers don't have a set of required specs in their documentation to tell us what's good and what's bad! Although Sennheiser themselves suggest that their upper level phones are designed to be used with higher quality home Hi-Fi systems rather than requiring a dedicated headphone amp....although they don't necessarily preclude their use. There have in fact been some discussions suggesting just such silliness, and contending that Sennheiser has actually let on that really high quality headphone amps may be too good for the way the cans are tuned and intended to be listened to!

Crazy; huh?

Generally speaking, if the current is there and the "sound" is acceptable to the listener the receiver is a "good" one.

Do I speak from experience? Nope, don't have an amp. I do however have an older "high current" Onkyo receiver that I dusted off to use as a stop-gap temporary headphone amp, and it actually drives my 300 ohm HD600 a little bit better than my 32 ohm MS2i! So it apparently has the current for the MS2i and HD600 and the voltage for the HD600s as well. Good sounding unit with both high and low impedance phones. Will I get a headphone amp? Yup; most likely. Well it spank my Onkyo? I dunno, maybe. If it does I'll keep it. If it doesn't; someone here will get a good deal on the FS forum!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back