it's time to decide!!!
Sep 24, 2004 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

MyAstroBOY

New Head-Fier
280smile.gif

now it's time to make the choice for my ears and classical music (especially operas, concertos, arias, symphonies..)

i've listed 8 headphones (all of low impedance, i do not wanna buy another amplifier), i need choose ONE from them. Give me some advice.

1。AKG K240S

2。AKG 141S

3。SENNHEISER HD 570

4。ALESSANDRO M PRO

5。ALESSANDRO M2

6。GRADO SR 225

7。GRADO SR 125

8。BEYERDYNAMIC DT 860

hope 2 hear from u guys
600smile.gif

thank u
orphsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 27
I'd say
4。ALESSANDRO M PRO

but the pringe range it's a bit too wide...
and are u going to use them un|amped?

J|!

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 27
for classical vocals, definitely the K240S. I found the grado pretty bad for that kind of music. Never heard the beyer, could be interesting.

Can be scrapped from your list anyway : HD570, K141, bad stuff.

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
Can be scrapped from your list anyway : HD570, K141, bad stuff.

Its been a while, but I was thinking that (in the eyes (ears?) of many) the HD570's were actually a really good classical headphone. They are probably harder to drive, therefore needing/benifiting from an amp, so could possibly be stricken from the list for that. But I haven't heard them, and don't listen to classical that much...just another lightly informed party's opinion.

**BRENT**

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 27
smily_headphones1.gif

thank u so much
icon10.gif

as i am a guy who always moves around and classical music (opera,vocal..) is my life,so i won't and i do not want to invest an amplifier because of additional costs and inconvenience...

so i listed the 8 headphones as candidates
600smile.gif

cool.gif
hi jacopo, as far as i can know, ALESSANDRO M PRO can be easily diven without amplifier, but it can sound even better with an amplifier.

cool.gif
hi 00940 & MexicanDragon, i think ur advices are constructive...

orphsmile.gif
any way, which headphone is very comfortable (i can listen to operas for hours). i do think a good or qualified headphone should not only has good performance on SOUND, but also on their design and comfortable...otherwiese,if u feel so tired after wearing it for several hours, how can u really enjoy music
confused.gif

come on guys, give me more advices, thank u
lambda.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyAstroBOY
smily_headphones1.gif

cool.gif
hi jacopo, as far as i can know, ALESSANDRO M PRO can be easily diven without amplifier, but it can sound even better with an amplifier.

yes shure, I just wanted to know if you already had a headphone amp as "i do not wanna buy another amplifier" was a bit vague
wink.gif

and I dont think grado RS.1 /MS.pro are bad for classical vocal... even if it's clearly not an allround classical can and lacks the soundstage you might pretend in listening to symphonical

j|!

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 27
Actually the HD570 are just a crappy pair of cans, in general, driven from whatever. I know because I've heard it...you shouldn't even be considering it.

I personally don't think Grados or Alessandros are that good for classical. Too small a soundstage, IMO.
Why not consider something like the Sennheiser HD595? The Beyer DT860 you mentioned is probably a good candidate as well, though I haven't heard it.

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 27
We're missing opera's lovers here
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a huge fan of opera, especially Purcell and Haendel. And Mozart, but everyone loves Mozart, that isn't even funny.
biggrin.gif

What I found missing is missing with grado (i've not heard RS2,1 though) is first of all soundstage, it's too compressed to let the voice of an opera singer deploys itself as it should. Then their highs are very unforgiving. Last time I listened to the Magic Flute with SR80, the aria of the Queen was like a piercing thing put in my ears. Most of the time, I don't pick opera based on the quality of the record but of the performance. Some of the older records sound very scratchy in the highs. The K240s would tame that nicely. The forwardness of the grado is wonderfull but when listening to opera, it's not exactly what i'm after. A more laid-back presentation is welcome.

K141 is cheap sounding. The same for K301 btw. Forget about those.

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 27
orphsmile.gif

opera,opera,my operas...i love puccini's operas,mozart's 7 major operas,beethoven's fidelio,mascagni's operas, massnet's operas, handel's operas, and maybe wagner's long long operas....

confused.gif
well,come back 2 the topic...i do not have an amplifier and i won't buy one for some reasons...so i won't consider those headphones with high impedance...

so complicated
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 27
Just because a headphone has high impedance doesn't necessarily mean that they will be difficult to drive; on the flip side, just because it has low impedance doesn't necessarily mean that it will be easily driven, either. Don't restrict yourself to low-impedance headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Why not consider something like the Sennheiser HD595?

That would probably be my vote too, though I don't know your budget requirements. The closed-design equivalent of the HD595 is probably the AT A900 -- that's what I use, because i like isolation. The bass isn't ideally refined, but it isn't cartoony either, and I like its fullness in the vocal range.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
What I found missing is missing with grado (i've not heard RS2,1 though) is first of all soundstage,

soundstage is a big issue even with the top-line grados

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyAstroBOY
smily_headphones1.gif

thank u so much
icon10.gif

as i am a guy who always moves around and classical music (opera,vocal..) is my life,so i won't and i do not want to invest an amplifier because of additional costs and inconvenience...

I dont see inconveniences in using amps...
however if you have enough money to buy M.Pro, you should consider to buy a less expensive phone and an amp
wink.gif

j|!

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
That would probably be my vote too, though I don't know your budget requirements. The closed-design equivalent of the HD595 is probably the AT A900 -- that's what I use, because i like isolation. The bass isn't ideally refined, but it isn't cartoony either, and I like its fullness in the vocal range.

cool.gif
sometimes i often use my sony portable cd player to listen to classical music, i don't think hd 595 or other high impedance headphones can SOUND....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back