It's October: New Shuffles Shipping Yet?
Nov 4, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #151 of 166
Have anyone tried their IEM (especially Shure) with in-store demo units? I'm curious whether those have the hiss/static. If they don't I probably have a defective one and I think I will call Apple and see if they will give me an exchange.

Nov 4, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #152 of 166
lmf22 says:
Quote:

If they don't I probably have a defective one and I think I will call Apple and see if they will give me an exchange.

The longer I play, the less happy I have become.

I don't think power, download and headphone should be all-in-one. I wonder if the new Samsung chip has anything to do with this.

Nov 4, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #153 of 166
Has anyone else used the shuffle with UM2's at all??

I'm just wondering if they're just overly sensitive. I get shocking hiss straight out of my iMac with them and a discernable hiss out of the Shuffle. I get a little background hiss from my 5.5Gen iPod but nothing like I'm getting out of the shuffle...

Edit: Just tried the shuffle out with my DT990s(250ohm) and HD280 Pro (64ohm), neither of which exhibited any sort of hiss. Infact, with the 280Pro's, there was nothing but silence... I'm starting to think it's just very sensitive IEM's that are revealing the hiss and not a manufacturing defect.

Nov 5, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #156 of 166
Kirium says:
Quote:

Has anyone else used the shuffle with UM2's at all??

I believe a did see another post.

I just fully charged and will let it play all night. Maybe take some of the sting out of the Shuffle.

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #157 of 166
I think there must be some defective units out there.

My brother picked one up (his first ipod) and the first thing he observed with his was hiss and even worse a swirly staticy sound that was audible even in the music. He has shure E2c's by the way

He likes acoustic guitar and piano, and that is definitely noticeable with that type of music. Listening to Damein Rice was esepcially unpleasant.

It's definitely a hardware issue on his. As an experiment we MP3 gained down some songs to about 25% of normal volume and then played them back. It was like listening to an FM car radio.

He's going to swap it in the morning but i'm wondering what he will get.

If this is common, then 1st gen shuffles will go well on ebay

Nov 5, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #158 of 166
I just came back from Best Buy to test their Shuffle with my Shure E4c. There is no hissing. It must be a defective batch. I will request warranty service on Apple's support website and hope I'll get a new one soon.

UPDATE: False alarm... Sorry about that. I went to the Apple Store and replaced it, but the same problem is still there. The Shuffle the salesman has on him also have the same hissing noise with my E4c. I think me not hearing the hissing with the Best Buy unit was because of the noisy store environment.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #160 of 166
The sound on the new Shuffle is so bad I truly hope it is a defect. At low volume you can clearly hear the harmonic distortion. The distortion, hiss or whatever else you wish to call it does not abate when the music is playing.

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #161 of 166
So who is going to be the first to try it with one of these?
The HISSBUSTER.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=hissbuster

Attenuates the hiss and the signals. But who needs the whole volume range with these sensitive IEMs that experience the most hiss?

I think apple need to build their own official unit

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #162 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
So who is going to be the first to try it with one of these?
The HISSBUSTER.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=hissbuster

Attenuates the hiss and the signals. But who needs the whole volume range with these sensitive IEMs that experience the most hiss?

I think apple need to build their own official unit

Yes, yes - release a product to fix another product.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #163 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Yes, yes - release a product to fix another product.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't regard it as a fix, but an adapter to extend the compatibility. We have headphones ranging from 16ohm - 300 ohm being used on this thread. Is it a wonder that we might need an adapter?

They could use an internal resistor and switch, but most people wont need it and it would drive the cost up, so I think a short cable with the hissbuster built into socket or plug would be great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back