It's loud enough, do I need an amp?
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

m0gwai

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a pair of JH-16 and out of my ipod they are more than loud enough, I actually listen at 30-40% of maximum volume so do I really need an amp, if yes explain me why and the benefit of it

Thanks a lot

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Hard to say definitely yes or no since synergy between amp choice and player is so important but my guess is with all those drivers the JH16 would always benefit from an amp.

My JH5's go VERY LOUD straight out of my Ipod classic but when adding a Ibasso T3, there was a lot of improvement.  Overall a less edgy and raw which meant a clearer and more refined sound and the soundstage became a bit more open and airy.  I consider it a whopping 25% increase in SQ which is huge.

I wish I had the amp when I had my JH16's but I highly recommend it as it is very tiny not adding much bulk at all.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 12
I use a d4 with my w4 from my ipod classic. People often assume I'm trying to blow my ears out. Indeed while the ipod itself can drive the w4 to loud ear throbbing levels, and even more so with the amp, I find an increase in clarity, sound stage, etc with the amp so I use it.

You should try a portable amp. Or even a desktop one. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. Worse thing that can happen is you lose a few dollars over resale on the forums.  

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Clarity not loudness is the reason for using an amplifier.

yupyup
gs1000.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

x2, i read this and im like What. You dont get an amp for more bass/loudness, its for magical things to happen.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 12
There's a couple reasons for getting an amp. Clarity is definitely one of them. Also i listen at lower volume levels and with a good quality amp I'm able to listen at low volumes and still sound great as it would at lower volume. Some phones sound better when the volume is higher so an amp helps with that.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
There's a couple reasons for getting an amp. Clarity is definitely one of them. Also i listen at lower volume levels and with a good quality amp I'm able to listen at low volumes and still sound great as it would at lower volume. Some phones sound better when the volume is higher so an amp helps with that.

good to know.  what about for an already crystal clear sounding (to me) headphone like the DT880?   The only increase in sound that I might want (one more notch maybe) is my phone's mp3 player.   which I would probably use the most.  

i wonder if it's worth getting a DAC/amp like the E17...or should i just go with E11, since my clarity seems fine (and volume is fine on everythiing like laptop/ipad with a tiny exception of my phone)?  

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 12
It's not just clarity. It's dynamics as well. A great set of headphones can sound lifeless and flat even when they're loud, if they don't have enough power.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

x2, i read this and im like What. You dont get an amp for more bass/loudness, its for magical things to happen.

Quote:
It's not just clarity. It's dynamics as well. A great set of headphones can sound lifeless and flat even when they're loud, if they don't have enough power.

Quote:
Quote:

good to know.  what about for an already crystal clear sounding (to me) headphone like the DT880?   The only increase in sound that I might want (one more notch maybe) is my phone's mp3 player.   which I would probably use the most.  

i wonder if it's worth getting a DAC/amp like the E17...or should i just go with E11, since my clarity seems fine (and volume is fine on everythiing like laptop/ipad with a tiny exception of my phone)?  

for all you amp heads, e17 or e11 for my dt880s? 

I definitely can see the point wanting to hear all the details even at low volumes for when i'm studying..       the reason why i got the dt880 was mostly due to clarity and balance....will most likely leave the settings untouched with the amp.....don't want to change the balance at all....(i don't think)    I want flat balance.. flat balance doesn't equal lifeless, right?    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back