It's been a while...
Jan 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted on head-fi. Good to see it's still around. Ads everywhere, but that certainly hasn't seemed to inhibit the site's popularity or success.

My SR-007s have been sitting in a box for over a year, along with my Headamp KGSS. All I've used in the past 18 months has been an iPod and a pair of Sennheiser HD-25's... and I've loved every minute of it. But realizing I have about 4 grand worth of headphone equipment sitting unused strikes me as kind of silly, so it's time for me to buy another turntable, start listening to some vinyl, and start using my damn headphones.

Hello to anyone that was around when I was, and hello to anyone prepared to give me advice on a ~$500ish vinyl rig.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 10
You forgot about your 4000$ headphone equipment? Welcome back anyway.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forgot about your 4000$ headphone equipment? Welcome back anyway.
biggrin.gif

I've forgotten what it sounds like! Shame on me.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I've used in the past 18 months has been an iPod and a pair of Sennheiser HD-25's... and I've loved every minute of it.

I say, you keep enjoying those HD-25's, and just mail the Stax to me. My reasoning for this is entirely altruistic.

You see, they're already tempting you to re-invest in a quality source. Once you start listening to them, that $500 vinyl rig is going to need upgrades, or new cables, or Vibracones, or a geometrically-aligned granite slab to shield the audio signal from ionised quarks from outer space.

If you sell them, then you'll have $4k burning in your pocket. You'll post a "Reccomend me..." thread, and the replies will all be over your budget, but will all assure you that if you spend the extra, it'll be worth it.

So either way, you end up with more wallet damage. The only way out is to just give them away. In the fullness of my sincere desire to preserve the integrity of your savings account, I offer myself as a recipient for them.

I only have your best interests in mind.
cool.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but will all assure you that if you spend the extra, it'll be worth it.

Been there, done that -- why do you think I have a Stax rig?
wink.gif

But no, I'm over that... I've learned to "settle," even though electrostats aren't really settling.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 10
$500 for a turntable? It took some looking, but I pulled off a Used Rega Planar 3, Grado Gold and NAD PP2 for a little over $600. Sounded wonderful and led me down the path to a more expensive setup. But I'd probably go right back to the same setup if I had to economize. I like the current rig better, but that setup was good enough to show the strength of vinyl.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Welcome back!
biggrin.gif

Guess its time you start enjoying the Stax rig again...

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$500 for a turntable? It took some looking, but I pulled off a Used Rega Planar 3, Grado Gold and NAD PP2 for a little over $600. Sounded wonderful and led me down the path to a more expensive setup. But I'd probably go right back to the same setup if I had to economize. I like the current rig better, but that setup was good enough to show the strength of vinyl.

What's the best source for (good-condition) used tables these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back