It's alive!
Feb 26, 2004 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

PeterR

European Group Buy Coordinator
Plugged it in, and to my great shock and surprise it worked right away
smily_headphones1.gif

fet_01_s.jpg

JFET input stage (2SJ109), AD797 for voltage gain, IRF610/9610 output stage (it's snowing outside and I'm cold, so they're running at 80mA bias).
RMAA measurements into 32 ohms (-101 dBA noise, 99.2 dBA DR, 0.0044% THD, 0.0096% IMD) are basically the same as for the soundcard alone (Delta AP2496). No nasties on the scope either, so it's time to think about a case
wink.gif

Update:
Finally managed to take pictures of the amp in the Par-Metal case:
front.jpg

rear.jpg

Still on the to do list: those brass screws need to get black and the knob sits a little too far from the faceplate...

Feb 26, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 38
cool, schematics?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

schematics?

See attachment, power supply is a standard LM317/337 job.
Quote:

Sorry for my DIY naivete in electronics, but what type of amp is that Peter? Pimeta, ppa, something else?

Something else
smily_headphones1.gif
(hacked together by myself)
Quote:

Looks promising, Peter. How do you like the sound? I've been champing at the bit to do a MOSFET output amp for some time now.

Thanks. The most qualified comment I can make right now is "wow", I'll go into more detail once the new toy syndrome has worn off a little...

Feb 26, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 38
Some of your resistor values in output stage are asymmetrical. Is it because 610 and 9610 aren't really complementary even though they're marketed as such? I think I remember they're not all that similar. Also, did you consider Hitachi MOSFETs?

Looks nice, both design-wise and implementation-wise.

Feb 27, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 38
Now there is a Person that believes in High Open Loop gain and lots of Negative feedback. I like the three transistors Current Mirror Or as some have called the Wilson Current Mirror. You might consider replacing R11 and R12 with Jfet Current sources. Nice Design.

Feb 27, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 38
Nice sounds, and you can use it as a handwarmer!
Really nice, Peter. Looking forward to your further impressions as you get settled into it.

Feb 27, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
Some of your resistor values in output stage are asymmetrical. Is it because 610 and 9610 aren't really complementary even though they're marketed as such? I think I remember they're not all that similar.

Similar enough, most of the asymmetry is to force about 6mA current draw from the opamp.
Quote:

Also, did you consider Hitachi MOSFETs?

I did and probably will try them one day. This whole project started however with me looking at a pile of IRF610s and wondering what I could do with them (and it just took 10 dozen or so other parts to get rid of two of them, am I not efficient?
wink.gif
)
Quote:

Looks nice, both design-wise and implementation-wise.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
Looks like an Alps "Black Beauty". Also known as the 40 mm, this is the Blue's bigger brother
wink.gif

Right, ALPS RK40.

Quote:

Originally posted by ppl
Now there is a Person that believes in High Open Loop gain and lots of Negative feedback.

LOL, yes I know that's politically incorrect these days
wink.gif
But I'm not dogmatic about it, my Zen uses 16 dB or so feedback...
Quote:

I like the three transistors Current Mirror Or as some have called the Wilson Current Mirror. You might consider replacing R11 and R12 with Jfet Current sources. Nice Design.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back