It's Alive! Pico vs. Predator vs. Diablo vs. Xin Reference! South Florida Throw-down!
Nov 1, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #196 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your hearing must be going. I heard no calling, but cursing was clearly audible.
evil_smiley.gif

What's that, you say?...speak up!

donkeys_ears.jpg

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #197 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, why didn't you tell me that at the meet? Everyone kept calling your name but they were false alarms!
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your hearing must be going. I heard no calling, but cursing was clearly audible.
evil_smiley.gif

Luckily I was out of town all weekend so the cussing didn't reach me!
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #198 of 242
Any chance anyone tried the pico with preferably and ES2 or at least a UM2?

Predator will most likely sound great with it (my favourite amp with the ES2 is hornet/toma), but i'm not sure how the pico will work with it. The Move with ES2 didn't work too great together IMO

Better/worse/similar SQ to the AE2?

Also, is the DAC in predator comparable to the one in pico? or is it more along the line of the one in Move?

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #200 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance anyone tried the pico with preferably and ES2 or at least a UM2?

Predator will most likely sound great with it (my favourite amp with the ES2 is hornet/toma), but i'm not sure how the pico will work with it. The Move with ES2 didn't work too great together IMO

Better/worse/similar SQ to the AE2?

Also, is the DAC in predator comparable to the one in pico? or is it more along the line of the one in Move?

The DAC in the Predator is undoubtedly closer to the Move than to the Pico. Not even a contest from a parts/implementation standpoint.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #201 of 242
Has it really only been a week since the meet?
blink.gif
It has been nuts here ever since I got back and various hurdles prevented me from posting some pics and more impressions. I am going to tackle the first now and then try to fit in the second later. photo.Head-Fi limited my jumbo pics, which was one hurdle I was trying to overcome, but for now I will just post the little ones. [If anyone can tell me how to re-size in iPhoto -- especially as a group -- let me know]

Setting up late, as usual, and Vicki (boomana) brought more gear, cans and music than anybody else, as usual:

Vicki's stuff:

IMG_5424.jpg

Oh, and more of Vicki's stuff:

IMG_5425.jpg

Here is new guy Markus (MFueger) getting his line-up of amps and cans going. I think he is recreating his avvy in the first pic so people know who he is
biggrin.gif
:

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

Funny, but this was just how I was seeing these cans after Friday night/Saturday morning out with the crew:

IMG_5429.jpg

Here is another new guy, Juan (polvodediamante -- and I can even pronounce it now!), standing in front of Gene's (agile_one) great Accuphase-->Accuphase-->K1000 rig that Juan loved so much.

IMG_5454.jpg

Mike's (tyrion) cool SB3-->Wavelength Cosecant-->WooAudio 5 setup sounded excellent. The WA5 production model is even more striking than the proto I had before and it sounds great with the WE and Ken-Rad tubes. With Sylvania Bad Boys it was even faster and more detailed sounding but Mike preferred a little more body and warmth [who doesn't like a warm body next to them, though
tongue.gif
]

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

One of the key features was the portable show-down, and we had a lot of portables:

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

Even though the infamous Larocco Diablo was appearing at a meet for the first time during the first week it had shipped, and even though the scarce Xin Reference was in attendance, they didn't get anywhere near the attention as some other tiny performers. The Pico vs. Predator hype machine was primed before the meet and as anticipated the two Mighty Mites battled it out at tables next to each other for easy comparison.

Pico was fully dressed (except for a back panel issue that meant it had a bare behind). My black Pico is going to look smashing with my black Macbook and iMod.

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_54341.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

Here is a gratuitous shot of a naked Predator. I had the chance to compare the boards and the Pico boards are the same width and about a quarter inch shorter than the Predator boards, so I assume the Predator will be about the same size or slightly longer when it has a case.

IMG_5437.jpg

Now, some would call it sacriledge (and I did many times) but John (jp11801) decided to recable his Grado HP-2s and RS-1s right at the meet. Of course, those ham hands couldn't actually do the job so he engaged Stephen (thrice of Rockhopper Audio) to work while he was supposed to be having fun. As you can see, he had fun anyway, and I was fascinated by Stephen's handiwork. The best part was hearing the SAA Equinoxed HP-2s, which were really great.

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

Stephen (or somebody) said that the HP1000 driver had the yellow color of and old man's teeth, which was dead on.
k1000smile.gif
[Sorry for bluriness but the color comes through]

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

Speaking of teeth, thrice uses his own choppers when necessary. [Just kidding for the gullible potential customers.]

IMG_5453.jpg

And in conclusion, here is the beautiful finished product on thrice's amazing balanced B22 amp. A great combination indeed. The new 4-pin XLR made me jealous when I think about my clunky 2x3-pin XLR cans. If you have any say in the matter, go with the 4-pin.

IMG_5449.jpg

All-in-all, a great but not gear-intensive meet. Good times were had by all in attendance at the meet, but GREAT times were had by those who engaged in pre/post meet festivities so remember that when if comes to CanJam'08. That hotel is going to ROCK! Nice work to the Team Florida Planning Crew with Mike at the helm! Can't wait.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #203 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone talk a little more about the gene's accuphase k1000 rig?

The amp and cdp are beautiful. Some of the best looking gear I've scene. Classic looking but doesn't look out of place in 2007. The sound is tremendous. Not quite warm enough for my taste but dynamic, detailed, powerful are the words I would use to describe it with the K1000. I would love to hear his setup with a pair of nice speakers.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #204 of 242
Gene's Accuphase setup was one of the classiest setups I've seen in a long time. It is gorgeous to look ask, is built like a tank and sounds as good as it looks. The nice thing about this 2 piece rig, is that the CDP has a built-in pre-amp with volume control, so it allows you to skip the preamp. This is also helpful when using the speaker terminals for the H2's and the K1000's. It was my second favorite setup at the show sans your choice of headphones.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #205 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new 4-pin XLR made me jealous when I think about my clunky 2x3-pin XLR cans. If you have any say in the matter, go with the 4-pin.

i don't understand the balanced 4-pin connector. what is the advantage over 2 XLRs and why would one get one, as i can't think of one mainstream balanced amp that employs it. what amps even offer it as an option.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #206 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't understand the balanced 4-pin connector. what is the advantage over 2 XLRs and why would one get one, as i can't think of one mainstream balanced amp that employs it. what amps even offer it as an option.

The advantage is that it is a single connector instead of two connectors banging into each other and weighing down the end of the cable. You also do not have to keep L and R straight. Balanced B22s made by Rockhopper Audio have them standard, although thrice could probably make them with 2x3-pins if you ask nicely. The Woo Audio 5 uses a 4-pin socket for its front-panel K1000 connector because that is how the K1000s are made. Other amp makers can put them in instead of 3-pins if you ask them to.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #207 of 242
If you look at the Rockhopper page, the standard balanced connection that he has for the amps from the group buy is the 3 pin XLR, so I'd call that the standard, although for his personal amp, there is a 4 pin.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #208 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfueger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for the record, I am not easily scared, and there is no way in hell I am going to miss CanJam '08 in May. It is not common to find such a dedicated and well rounded group for anything, but I am happy to say I found them during this meet. I am certainly still a newby lacking the words to properly express my impressions, but I think some of the old skin is starting to peel off and I am getting better at expressing my findings.

Thanks for taking me to the next level, and thanks to dedicated folks like Justin and Ray for doing the essential, providing us with great gear to enjoy our music!

Cheers,
Markus

Double that for me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is another new guy, Juan (polvodediamante -- and I can even pronounce it now!), standing in front of Gene's (agile_one) great Accuphase-->Accuphase-->K1000 rig that Juan loved so much.

IMG_5454.jpg

Pico was fully dressed (except for a back panel issue that meant it had a bare behind). My black Pico is going to look smashing with my black Macbook and iMod.

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_54341.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

Heck yes, Gene's setup was classy looking and sweet sounding, I want that setup for sure!

Voltron, I didn't know you had an imod! I would have loved to have listened to it!

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #209 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at the Rockhopper page, the standard balanced connection that he has for the amps from the group buy is the 3 pin XLR, so I'd call that the standard, although for his personal amp, there is a 4 pin.

I guess it's just his personal preference then, but I bet he would make one with 4-pin connector for others.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #210 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltron, I didn't know you had an imod! I would have loved to have listened to it!

Sorry, Juan, I should have made it known but didn't think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back