It's a sad Christmas...
Dec 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
Well guys, today has been a day filled with excitement and depression. I had bought a used pair of Denon D2000s from the FS forum here, but I couldn't use them until Christmas (mother's money, my Head-Fi account). I bought them at the beginning of the month, so I'm sure everyone can imagine how long I've been waiting for this day to come, knowing for sure I'll be listening to these. Upon first listen, these seemed to be everything I could ever ask for in a headphone. They fit my desired sound signature more so than any other headphone I've ever heard, and they would last me until I got enough money to afford the LCD-3 (probably years from now, college student).

Well, finally my playlist rotated to a song that had quite a bit of bass quantity, and I noticed a rattling sound in the left driver. I thought it may have been a loose screw (I've read about the infamous screw problem some D2000s have) so I took off the earpad. Well, I had the music still playing, and, without even checking the screws, I could immediately identify the problem. The driver itself would flex in a weird, nonuniform manner whenever the rattling occurred, and the right driver vibrates as it should. This is at a comfortable listening volume, so I know I'm not over working the driver. Is this a known problem that can be fixed at home? I can't find any threads about a similar issue without people saying to return them, but I bought these used. Thanks in advance!

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 27
I was using very slight EQ when I first heard the sound, but I've also removed the EQ and I still hear the distortion. My setup is a Galaxy S Voodoo + FiiO E11 amp. Changing the source or going without an amp doesn't help either. It's definitely a problem with the headphones.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 27
Blow into it.  Maybe there is a hair stuck in there.  You could try mouth to mouth action...sounds dumb, but that's how I get out kinks in drivers.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
  You could try mouth to mouth action...sounds dumb, but that's how I get out kinks in drivers.

Gotta be REALLY careful if you do that, not to accidentally pull out the voice coil and permanently damage it. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 27
I've blown into it for a good while, and used some compressed air just to make sure, and it didn't help. Accidentally pulling out the voice coil through mouth to mouth sounds very dangerous...

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 27

Blow into it.  Maybe there is a hair stuck in there.  You could try mouth to mouth action...sounds dumb, but that's how I get out kinks in drivers.

But make sure to replace headphone driver with Megan Fox or Jennifer Love Hewitt first. And be very careful not to blow air into.....aww forget it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
Did you check to make sure it's not the source file that has that distortion?

Just swap left and right channel and see if the right side doesn't distort. If the right side also distorts, then I think you need better source.

Yep, I've tried swapping channels, along with different source files and even different sources.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

But make sure to replace headphone driver with Megan Fox or Jennifer Love Hewitt first. And be very careful not to blow air into.....aww forget it.

And if you've somehow sucked out her voice coil, you've done something very wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back