iTouch - Initial Impressions
Oct 31, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find I'm spending WAY more time fiddling with this thing than I am listening to music on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Lol! The beauty of modding the touch!

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh to be tech savvy... I still have my stock 11 icons. I wish Apple would open this thing up.

Be careful what you wish for. It's a curse. I'll probably mess with it until I brick it.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 45
Until today I'd spent probably a combined total of 10 minutes listening to a friend's 5g iPod and another friend's 2g Nano. I don't do much portable listening and the only mp3 player I own is the original handgo jukebox ... which actually sounds not bad but is big, clunky, and has lousy battery life.

Today however I took my Shure E4c's to the Mac Store and spent 1 1/2 hours listening to the same two tracks rotating between the Nano 3g, iPod Classic, and iTouch. Primarily, I'd like to have some sort of player to use through the line-in of my car stereo. In sound quality, to my ears, the iTouch sounded best by a long shot. My next choice would be the Nano, with the Classic coming in a close last. I found both the Nano and Classic to have a thin, harsh, tinny sound to them while the iTouch sounded much better balanced and warmer .... but still with plenty of detail. This surprised me because I generally like emphasised highs (probably because of my age and therefore declining sensitivity to frequency response) and while both the Nano and Classic seemed to have emphasized highs ( and not much bass...at least with the Shures) the brittle harshness made them both seem irritating, while again, the iTouch sounded much more natural and smooth.

The touch screen was fun to play with, but sometimes. like many touch screens, I found myself having to make a second or third attempt to get it to do what I wanted .... although this could also be due to the fact that i didn't really know what I was doing most of the time.

The only thing that kept me from buying one on the spot was the price. I've been burned so many times by being an early adopter, and I have no doubt that a price reduction and/or improved model is already just around the corner....but even as i'm typing this, i'm thinking of going back to the store and getting one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone know whether or not you can use it to store and transfer regular files ( such as documents or even applications) from a Mac computer? That ability would likely close the deal for me.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U

Does anyone know whether or not you can use it to store and transfer regular files ( such as documents or even applications) from a Mac computer? That ability would likely close the deal for me.

Out of the box, no. There are hacks floating around, though. haven't tried it myself as I'm a Windows user.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/21/use-y...400-usb-stick/

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #41 of 45
Did a side-by-side with my 2ndgen 8G Nano and discovered that I REALLY prefer the sound via line out from the iTouch! The Nano sounds muddy by comparison.

GAD

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did a side-by-side with my 2ndgen 8G Nano and discovered that I REALLY prefer the sound via line out from the iTouch! The Nano sounds muddy by comparison.

GAD

I have both the 3rd gen nano and the Touch, and the Touch gets much more use, not only for its other capabilities, but imho, its slightly less shrill SQ.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #44 of 45
Hey GAD, how are you finding working in a ssh shell on the iTouch? I've been extremely tempted by the iPhone but I was wondering how well it would work with all the special characters you use in a shell.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #45 of 45
Ahh - the special chars are the problem.

SSH is cool, and I can do all sorts of cool stuff, but my #1 driver is that I use PINE for email (luddite tech guy here!). I have not been able to find a way to send a Cntrl-X. The VT102 app includes a funky way to send ^C, ^[ and tab, but that's in. There is no control or alt key on the iTouch virtual keyboard.

Once I figure out a way to send control-chars, I'll be a happy happy boy.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back