Italian Popular Music
Dec 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

CharlesC

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm a big fan of Italian popular music.  I might as well share a bit, for anyone that may be interested.

I'll begin with the new CD by veteran singer Elisa entitled: "L'anima vola".  Known for writing songs in English, this may be her first all Italian lyric album - which is OK with me.  The beauty of the songs seems to build as the record progresses.  Recording style is a bit nebulous so it's not going to push your equipment to the limit but it lends an ethereal, sometimes haunting quality to the music.  Best of all, this record is avilable thru the usual US online music distributors (I checked iTunes, anyway) which is not as common as one would wish.

The CD contains a new version of Ancora Qui, the song penned by Elisa and composer Ennio Morricone for Quinten Tarrantino's Django Unchained.  I'm not Tarrantino's hugest fan but even I'd admit that he knows how to put a soundtrack together.  I believe this is the film version of the song.

Till next time, Ciao!

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 22
  So, I'm a big fan of Italian popular music.  I might as well share a bit, for anyone that may be interested.

Is there a YouTube channel or a site which is like a hub for all Italian pop music? For example, there is a YouTube channel Ello which accumulates most of new releases in Russian pop music.

I used to listen Italian singers from 80-s in my childhood: Adriano Celentano, Toto Cutugno, Ricchi e Poveri.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 22
mutabor,  My main source is Radio Italia.  They broadcast on the web (radioitalia.it) and have smartphone apps.  Their YouTube channel is mostly selections from their in house concerts which they do a lot of.  They also link to a lot of music videos on their Facebook and twitter feeds.  They do a good job promoting the local music.

Adriano Celentano is still around though I'm not familiar with him. Not so sure about the others.  Please post something about any of them here if you feel like it.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 22

Luciano Ligabue, or simply Ligabue, released his long awaited collection of new material a couple of weeks ago.  Ligabue is probably Italy's most loved rocker. Some may argue that that honor goes to Vasco Rossi, but I'm going with Ligabue. Here's the video for the first single from Mondovisione, "Il Salle Della Terra":

Unfortunately, Mondovisione is not yet easily available in the US - though there are ways …..

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 22

Released a couple of years ago, Dannato Vivere is Negrita's most recent collection of new material.  Just recently they release an acoustic rehash called Deja Vu.  I picked up Dannato Vivere about 6 months ago and it became one of my favorites. I imagine that I'll have Deja Vu also before long. I don't know much about the band but the lead singer has a great voice and the band can play.

Here's a great tune from DV: Un giorno di ordinario magia:

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 22

Another big release of the last few weeks is Senza Paura by Giorgia.  I have to admit to having mixed feelings about Giorgia. On the one hand she can definitely sing and has survived beyond the "new girl" phase of her career to become a major European star.  She doesn't look bad either.  On the other hand, she often sings with trills and flourishes that remind me of Whitney Houston - not a real plus in my book.  But she is good, very pop. And if you are always missing Whitney Houston then you may want to give her a listen.  First hit from the CD: Quando una stella muore.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 22

So I guess that one day Luca Carboni decided to grab some of the best songs from his extensive catalog and rerecord them with many of Italy's greatest contemporary singers joining him in duets. It turns out to have been a great idea. This is a fantastic record. The only problem is that I've never heard any of the original versions of these songs and now I'm a little apprehensive about doing so.  Anyway, here he is joined by the great Cesare Cremonini singing Mare mare:

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 22

Damn, It just occurred to me that I haven't shown any love yet for the younger pop stars. Where better to begin than with Emma. A very capable singer, she excels at singing her guts out. Even on a song that begins rather gently like this one, you just know that before it's all over those guts are coming out.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 22
What a huge star she is, too.  As you know, she is one of the ones that releases her music in both Italian and Spanish. Apparently there are a lot more Spanish speakers then Italian speakers on planet Earth.  Oh, and she just release a greatest hits collection:

And do post a link to your favorite auditions songs. Please.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 22
Of the artists mentioned here I am familiar Ligabue and Negrita... Ligabue the album I prefer which is also his best-selling "Buon Compleanno Elvis" published in 1995 ... While the Negrita really phenomenal is the self-titled "Negrita" released in 1994 .....Excellent Italian rock .... recommended 

May 23, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 22
A bit late to the party, but this gal does some ok stuff imo. Her recordings aren't quite as well done as some of the above, and come across a little thin and bright to my ears, at least on YT clips. So adjust volume accordingly. I like her style though, which is sort of a blend of pop & alt-rock. She reminds me of some Greek pop singers, like Despina Vandi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back