*******it...solder burns (literally)
Jun 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gotten a burn or two before--my best recommendation is to immediately flush with cold water for (literally) 10-15 minutes or so. I've found that the longer I do it the shorter it takes to recover.

I also heard that one. Someone told me that even after you're away from the heat source, your skin/flesh continue to roast so you have to make sure you cool everyting down as fast as possible. Then you can put aloe or any other thing on it (except any fat or oil as they say in first aid guides!)

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aloe actually doesn't do anything. Best to use cold water and then some neosporin.

Aloe Vera plant has been used for thousands of years to treat cuts, burns, and other afflictions of the skin. To state that Aloe does not do anything is ridiculous.

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #20 of 34
As was stated earlier, make sure you have safety glasses on. Pulling wires loose while heating with an iron is a sure way to get solder splash towards the face/eyes. Burns on the hands/arms........well thats just our badge of honor. :wink:

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aloe actually doesn't do anything. Best to use cold water and then some neosporin.

Sounds like someone who's never used a piece of the plant before. I'm w/Ziplock on this one. It works, I've used it since I was a kid and recently too unfortunately...

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

ran my hand under cold water for 20mins

I'd take a slice of aloe vera over 100 liters of water

Grabbed for the tip of a hot iron just after switching it of aswell, fortunately i thought of it right after touching it, so my fingers were of before i felt the heat

Send a blob of solder flying onto my arm once though

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 34
yup, solder will burn. got cool scars to prove it. on my foot too!, once had some solder burn through a sock. that really sucked. if there is anything worse than solder burns, its surprise solder burns.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My finger is still throbbing after 10 minutes on ice. Did a stupid thing today and play with a whole bunch of liquid solder...and unintentionally gave myself a burn on my fingertip. Nothing major, just a blister (I hope)...how fast does it go away?

Brendan

Don't worry too much about it. Burns heal much faster than the urge to do stupid things.

If you're lucky, you'll have a battl... err... geek scar to show off and remind you in the future. Sorry you got burned and had to learn the hard way. Don't we all? Welcome to the club. <my favorite geek story elided>

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 34
I have found that burning oneself with the tip is actually not half bad. In my experience the ridiculous heat more or less kills/cauterizes the wound and I am left with a painless callous that sloughs off in a week or so. Touching higher up the shaft away from the tip is a different story that typically ends with a painful bluster and scar.

Moral of the story, If you simply cannot resist the temptation to burn yourself with an Iron do it with the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antishatter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once picked up the wrong end of a soldering iron in my haste to chip an xbox. You only do that once.

Yeah, I've done that - once. I was at a customer site in an office, replacing a line filter. I was using a plug-in pencil type iron. I put the iron down so I could position the work. While I wasn't looking, the cord turned the iron around, so when I reached down I grabbed the element, not the handle. Huge white burns across all four fingers. Man that hurt! And since I was at a customer site, in an office, I couldn't even swear like I wanted to. Definitely not something you want to experience a second time.

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found that burning oneself with the tip is actually not half bad. In my experience the ridiculous heat more or less kills/cauterizes the wound and I am left with a painless callous that sloughs off in a week or so. Touching higher up the shaft away from the tip is a different story that typically ends with a painful bluster and scar.

Moral of the story, If you simply cannot resist the temptation to burn yourself with an Iron do it with the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

I've actually experienced this way too often myself. Of course, I'm usually working in a tight spot under a microscope, so you lose perspective of where your hand is with relation to the iron's tip.
redface.gif

Oh, and my iron is usually at 700-800 degrees... damn lead-free solder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back