It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
Jun 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #106 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I would love to hear why you think the logic of the interface is "rubbish", because everyone I've talked to find it the most intuitive interface. Even my grandpa can use an iPod Touch, but he had trouble getting around my iPod Video and ZVM.

one cannot use the touch without looking at it.
one cannot get fast to sound settings (is there a shortcut i am not aware of?)
one need long nails or a lot of luck to use the interface on a public transport.
one cannot switch songs without taking the whole thing out of pocket.
it is not really pocketable.
the interface is slow (c'mon, compare it to classic)

ipod video and ZVM are way more usable. nice icons and effects do not constitute good usability.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #107 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by vr5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ease of use? you joking, right? made another attempt to test touch this weekend. absolutely unusable. classic is way much better. i don't have meaty hands, but the touch interface is unresponsive, slow, inconvnient and the logic of the interface is rubbish.

re sony - ridiculous. have you ever held 81x or 82x? very-very fast interface

ipod is selling well because of the same reason why most people listen through the supplied headphones - most people just consume whatever they are being fed (marketing push).

I've never used the touch, and probably never will because I use hard drive PDPs. I've not really investigated other because the iPod has 2 features that are more important to me than SQ. Those are gapless playback and smart playlists. Every time I've investigated other players, or asked here, no one has been able to tell me of another player that has these functions.

SQ is of lesser importance to me, because I'm usually using my iPod in noisy environments, like commuting on the DC Metro.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #108 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never used the touch, and probably never will because I use hard drive PDPs. I've not really investigated other because the iPod has 2 features that are more important to me than SQ. Those are gapless playback and smart playlists. Every time I've investigated other players, or asked here, no one has been able to tell me of another player that has these functions.

SQ is of lesser importance to me, because I'm usually using my iPod in noisy environments, like commuting on the DC Metro.

fair enough. gapless on sony would be nice indeed (the wall, books etc).
i am running, so had to replace ZVM.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #109 of 127
Quote:

fair enough. gapless on sony would be nice indeed (the wall, books etc).
i am running, so had to replace ZVM.

Do you know of any other player that does something like the iTunes/iPod smart playlist? For me that's been one of the most useful features. I have about 5 or 6 on my iPod and at least a dozen in iTunes.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #110 of 127
I am curious about smartlists. I have not used them in the past. Is there a guide to how to use them anywhere? (sorry for the thread-jack...)

[edit: never mind. google is my friend...]

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #111 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any other player that does something like the iTunes/iPod smart playlist? For me that's been one of the most useful features. I have about 5 or 6 on my iPod and at least a dozen in iTunes.

mediamonkey plus tons of different DAPs

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #112 of 127
Quote:

fair enough. gapless on sony would be nice indeed (the wall)

Put "The Wall" on in WAV and it will play gapless.
It's not ideal because of the size of the file, but it's better than nothing.

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #113 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put "The Wall" on in WAV and it will play gapless.
It's not ideal because of the size of the file, but it's better than nothing.

that's next weekend (need to find the original CD) mini project then
smily_headphones1.gif
many thanks!!

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #114 of 127
To the OP: Thank you for your review. I found it interesting reading. Like most other reviews here, it is just your opinion.

I wonder if you anticipated the ****storm you started.

Mooch

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #115 of 127
Quote:

one cannot use the touch without looking at it.
one cannot get fast to sound settings (is there a shortcut i am not aware of?)
one need long nails or a lot of luck to use the interface on a public transport.
one cannot switch songs without taking the whole thing out of pocket.
it is not really pocketable.
the interface is slow (c'mon, compare it to classic)

ipod video and ZVM are way more usable. nice icons and effects do not constitute good usability.

This is all going to be pretty subjective, since it is IMO:

1) one cannot use the touch without looking at it.
This is the sacrifice one has to make for the touch screen. If you can live without it, hardware buttons are obviously better.

2) one cannot get fast to sound settings (is there a shortcut i am not aware of?)
If you are talking about getting to the EQ, then there is no easy way, but you know better than using the EQ on an iPod. If you are talking about changing tracks while you are in another application, you can double tap the home button to pull up a playback control widget.

3) one need long nails or a lot of luck to use the interface on a public transport.
The screen only reacts to skin, so nails won't work, but that's beside the point. I presume that you have trouble because you hold the Touch with one hand and navigate with the other, I have had no trouble using it on a bus or while running, since I only use my right hand.

4) one cannot switch songs without taking the whole thing out of pocket.
Another sacrifice one has to make for the touch screen interface. You have to do the same thing with players like the Cowon D2.

5) it is not really pocketable.
It is about as pocketable as the Zune 80, and much more pocketable than the 5/5.5/6G iPods, ZVM, and iRiver H1xx. If you want real pocketability the Nano and Sansa Clip are obviously much better than everything else in existence. Plus you don't have to worry about getting scratches on the Touch's screen if you put it in a pocket with something else, like keys.

6) the interface is slow (c'mon, compare it to classic)
I don't really feel that it is slow, in fact it is much quicker to go from A to Z on the Touch than the Classic, or anything else really, since you can just click on the letter.

7) ipod video and ZVM are way more usable. nice icons and effects do not constitute good usability.
Highly subjective. The iPod Touch's interface is not just about looking pretty, it is intuitive. My grandpa has a way easier time with the Touch than the video and ZVM I've owned. Maybe he just got lucky

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #116 of 127
I completely agree with what triggerc has said, the Touch has a few drawback, but they are inheret to all touchscreen DAPs. It's has a spectacular interface. One of the best I've used, finding a song is extremely fast and easy. The interface is actually MUCH faster than the Classic I used to own... granted the Classic had 24 GBs of songs on it versus the 6GB I have on the Touch, but I found the Classic has a pretty slugglish interface.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #117 of 127
Quote:

ease of use? you joking, right? made another attempt to test touch this weekend. absolutely unusable. classic is way much better. i don't have meaty hands, but the touch interface is unresponsive, slow, inconvnient and the logic of the interface is rubbish.

re sony - ridiculous. have you ever held 81x or 82x? very-very fast interface

ipod is selling well because of the same reason why most people listen through the supplied headphones - most people just consume whatever they are being fed (marketing push).

I never had problems with the Touch interface. I got rid of my Touch, because I decided I liked my D2 a whole lot better. It sounded a tonne better, and the Touch's gimmick wore off.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #118 of 127
Quote:

mediamonkey plus tons of different DAPs

Can you get specific on the tons of different DAPs? I've never been told of a specific one that can do smart playlists and I've never seen it listed in specs.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #119 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4) one cannot switch songs without taking the whole thing out of pocket.
Another sacrifice one has to make for the touch screen interface. You have to do the same thing with players like the Cowon D2.

The D2 has configurable hard buttons, so it can be used in a pocket.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #120 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 has configurable hard buttons, so it can be used in a pocket.

Yep. You can adjust volume, play/pause and skip tracks without looking at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back