It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
May 31, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #91 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All portable digital audio players suck. End of story.

I love your open mind.
rolleyes.gif

May 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #92 of 127
^ They all suck in relation.

Although , I don't think this would apply to an H140 with an uber expensive portable DAC/Amp.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #95 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I have a Sony A828, and used to have an ipod classic. The Sony is hands down better in my opinion. I wouldn't ever go back to the ipod after this. The ipod just lacks an overall richness for my ears.

Agreed... Never enjoyed a good sound out of an ipod..

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #96 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All portable digital audio players suck. End of story.

They don't quite suck, this is 2008 not 1456, however a PDAP wouldn't be your final destination in a quest for super SQ.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #97 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed... Never enjoyed a good sound out of an ipod..

iPod is more about Ease of Use.

When you have 5000 songs in your library u dont care much about Sound quality..

But what u care is about how easily u can switch to a song ..
jumping from A to P in Sony will take 2-3 minutes.

But in an iPod u can jump from A to Z under 10 seconds flat.

Thats why iPod is best selling.

Portable music is all about that and not sound quality.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #99 of 127
I guess part of why I like the iPod so much is because of the light bass. My favorite dynamic headphones are those that most people consider bass light like AKGs and Etys. I'm curious if the people who complain about the bass in the iPod also don't like bass light headphones?

I also agree on ease of use of the iPod, although the only thing I have to compare it to is an old Rio Cali. For me iTunes is much easier to use than other PC software I've tried, especially with over 2000 CDs in my library.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #100 of 127
ease of use? you joking, right? made another attempt to test touch this weekend. absolutely unusable. classic is way much better. i don't have meaty hands, but the touch interface is unresponsive, slow, inconvnient and the logic of the interface is rubbish.

re sony - ridiculous. have you ever held 81x or 82x? very-very fast interface

ipod is selling well because of the same reason why most people listen through the supplied headphones - most people just consume whatever they are being fed (marketing push).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod is more about Ease of Use.

When you have 5000 songs in your library u dont care much about Sound quality..

But what u care is about how easily u can switch to a song ..
jumping from A to P in Sony will take 2-3 minutes.

But in an iPod u can jump from A to Z under 10 seconds flat.

Thats why iPod is best selling.

Portable music is all about that and not sound quality.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #101 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess part of why I like the iPod so much is because of the light bass. My favorite dynamic headphones are those that most people consider bass light like AKGs and Etys. I'm curious if the people who complain about the bass in the iPod also don't like bass light headphones?

I also agree on ease of use of the iPod, although the only thing I have to compare it to is an old Rio Cali. For me iTunes is much easier to use than other PC software I've tried, especially with over 2000 CDs in my library.

side tested sony 820 and touch this weekend:
bass is present on touch only when you turn it all the way up - normal volume means no bass. EQ is totally unusable.
soundstage is narrow, musicians sit in the center of your head.

now classic sounded much better. have no idea why would apple castrate it top DAP. weird!

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #102 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by vr5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ease of use? you joking, right? made another attempt to test touch this weekend. absolutely unusable. classic is way much better. i don't have meaty hands, but the touch interface is unresponsive, slow, inconvnient and the logic of the interface is rubbish.

re sony - ridiculous. have you ever held 81x or 82x? very-very fast interface

ipod is selling well because of the same reason why most people listen through the supplied headphones - most people just consume whatever they are being fed (marketing push).

I'm sorry that you find the Touch's interface unusable. I personally find every DAP interface unusable after switching finally to a iPod Touch, that's coming from an iRiver H120, ZVM, 1G iPod Nana, and 5G iPod Video. I think that the iPod Touch's interface is one of the most innovative and amazing things Apple has ever done, and scrolling through artists/songs/albums is infinitely more controlled than any other DAP I've used. My only gripe is the lack of hardware volume control.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the touch interface, and prefer the A8xx interface instead, which I found to be the least inspiring and most tedious of all of the DAP I've tested before. Both the Zune 80 and ZVM possess superior interface to the Sony IMHO.

BTW I would love to hear why you think the logic of the interface is "rubbish", because everyone I've talked to find it the most intuitive interface. Even my grandpa can use an iPod Touch, but he had trouble getting around my iPod Video and ZVM.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #104 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the unruly idea of subjectivity will come to beat you all down.

mwahaha

True.
This is why the Touch ain´t so good.
Loaded with 32 ohms it looks and feels like the 5g w more hiss.
The Classic is in an entirely different league.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #105 of 127
What setup did you use to measure the frequency response? I ask because everyone measurement is different than others due to equipment, some have the 5G coming up on top while others have the Classic being the better DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back