It is hard to build a Mini^3?
Mar 27, 2008 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

F155mph

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I looked at the instruction and it doesn't seem that hard. However I know in practice it can be a lot different. I never solder small electronic parts before so how difficult is it to do so. My hands aren't that steady neither so would this be impossible? My main concern is that I don't want to spend $80 bucks and end up with a pile of junk since I didn't solder well.

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by F155mph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I looked at the instruction and it doesn't seem that hard. However I know in practice it can be a lot different. I never solder small electronic parts before so how difficult is it to do so. My hands aren't that steady neither so would this be impossible? My main concern is that I don't want to spend $80 bucks and end up with a pile of junk since I didn't solder well.

Thanks!

It's not that hard.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 28
You could always spend another $20-$30 and get someone to build it for you. Not as much fun as as actually building one yourself, but without the (possible) aggro. There's plenty that come up in the for sale forum.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 28
I second FallenAngel's appraisal. Go for it!
smily_headphones1.gif

SMD soldering is like regular soldering - intimidating at first, but after you're over the learning curve, it's practically second nature.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 28
So say I decide to do it.....what kind of soldering iron should I use and what else do I need? I got a voltage meter, but not sure if it does low voltage since I got it for my car. However being it cost $50 I think it should.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 28
I think the hardest part of building a Mini3 is to ensure that after soldering the battery terminals, you have to totally discharge the capacitors before doing anything else.

Seems many people (me included) fry the opamps because they forgot this step which also need to be done each time the circuit is powered up.

Otherwise the Mini3 is easy, there's only two SOIC chips to solder and they are not really that small.

Go for it!

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been wondering about the difficulty factor of a mini^3.
Also been wondering about the costs of building one ... anyone?

I just ordered my parts. Total was around $75 with all the shipping.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 28
for a multimeter, something i've noticed in the past few days, the older fluke 7x and 8x meters go on ebay once in a while for 20-30 bucks, and their far better then anything you can get new for that even today

for an iron, a hakko dash, or basic weller ( the blue handled ones) should do well

figure 15 bucks for a quality wire stipper, i like the klein pictured here (sears carries the 20-30 awg version)
Klein Wire Stripper/Cutter, Klein-Kurve - Model 11055 at Sears.com

and a set of pliers and cutters for 30 at sears as well, its a 5 piece set perfect for electronics work

and no, the mini isn't hard to build, all the tools mentioned would set you back about 100 bucks, but you'd also be very well equipped to tackle most if not all electronics projects in the future

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no wires to cut or strip on the Mini³.
wink.gif

this is true, but its only a matter of time before he moves onto something that does
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 28
Someone on these boards has one, can't remember who.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my off-topic question
frown.gif

I've already had a Mini^3. I wonder if I want to make a balanced, is it possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back