It could all be over soon for the file sharing network Kazaa
Feb 8, 2004 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Kazaa in court this week

FEBRUARY 09, 2004

IT could all be over soon for the file sharing network Kazaa, which had its offices raided last week and whose executives will appear in court this week.

Investigators raided Kazaa's Sydney office last Friday, collecting evidence about copyright infringement that will be presented in a Sydney court on tommorrow (Tuesday).

While the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has been ferocious in their quest to stamp out illegal file-sharing, the local equivalent, the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) has appeared less than active in recent years, despite Kazaa operating out of Sydney for the last three years. That is, inactive up until yesterday.

--snip--

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Oh no - for me is bad 'couse I can not find some music that I like here and to buy it online is kind of difficult here so it was helpful for. So I will make most of it for this days. Then who knows DC++
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the thread fractus2!

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, it was great while it lasted. I discovered a half dozen new groups I really liked and started collecting their albums. So RIAA, I'll now go back to not buying anymore cds. Screw you.

Feb 10, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 13
anyone catch the music anti-sharing message at the Grammys?

somehow it wasn't received too well by the audience. they all seemed to grimmace.

Feb 11, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 13
Kazaa is a decentralized network and the program is not reliant on any one Super-node. Even if the company (Sharman) was destroyed, the network (FastTrack) would continue to operate using the same resources it does now.. the users.

Feb 11, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 13
Kazaa is a lousy program anyway. What I really miss is Audiogalaxy. That was the best P2P network ever. One of the coolest parts was the message boards and similar artist suggestions. I discovered more music through that program than any other, and have probably bought 30 so CDs thanks to music and artists I discovered from there. Of course, the stuff I listen to tends to be mostly independent so the RIAA doesn't get squat from those CD sales, especially since I bought a lot of them from a mail-order place in Germany.

Feb 11, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Does all of this apply to Kazaa Lite too? or just to the original Kazaa file sharing network?

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Regardless of the legality / illegality of the whole thing, it's funny that it took a computer company with a history of innovative computing to introduce a way of buying music that wasn't totally counter to the whole experience. You would have expected more out of the "artists".

I talked with quite a few music industry people before and after iTunes was released regarding legal downloading. None of them could get it into their heads that illegal downloading was actually a more pleasant 'purchasing experience' than any other pay for music site bar iTunes on the Internet regardless of the fact that there was or was not money involved in the deal. It was the same kind of self-denial that went on at the Dot Com boom for people who introduced impenetrable websites and expected online commerce to balloon.

I buy quite a lot of CD's, I get given quite a lot as well but that's as a kind of favour from one business to another. Since I like control over bitrates and codecs, I'll be sticking to buying CD's instead of iTunes. But it's finally made buying music online more pleasant than using a P2P network... took long enough.

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Many times I will hear of bands from this site or other sites, go on there to check out some samples, and brought Cd's based on that. I can't afford to buy Cd's blind, so I guess I will be saving a whole lot of money on Cd's from now on, since I will be buying a lot less if they get shut down.

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 13
no worries, it would be extremely difficult and expensive to shut down Kazaa's network... even if they shutdown the company who makes the client program, the network will still operate on its own, pretty much as it does now. Although, I imagine it would get more ineffecient without some coordination of super-nodes.

To stop it would require scanning and filtering packets at the the major internet routers, the internet service providers, or the telecom carriers. Not that they want to. P2P users are all paying somebody for that bandwidth, and its a major draw for people to get broadband in the first place.

Anyway, Kazaa is only one of many popular networks. Can't stop them all. Some P2P programs are now using encrypted packet schemes, just in case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back