It´s either great bass or great treble, never both!
Dec 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Why is it that there isn´t headphones which would have great bass, great mids and great treble? It´s always one or the other. :frowning2:

When you´re in a professional studio with a great room, speakers and sub, you can hear EVERYTHING clearly. The treble is clear and bright, mids are clear, bass is big and controlled. With headphones always some area is lacking. :frowning2:

HD800 = Bass sucks (the lack of it), clear and detailed treble, but too hyped so too bright for me, made my ears hurt physically.

T1 = Great detailed, bright and smooth treble, love it! Lacking also with bass, but not so much as the HD800. Also great mids with these. Great all arounder, except the bass!!! :frowning2:

LCD-2 = Great bass (but could be even better, a bit muddy), but still the best bass I´ve heard with headphones so far. Good treble, but a bit recessed so not very detailed, especially the upper mids, little too soft for my taste, but overall still a great headphone for enjoying music, not so good for mixing.

D7000 = Great bass also, more bass than LCD-2, huge impact, but maybe not as controlled as the LCD-2 and also a bit muddy. Fun bass. :) But that´s about the only good side of these headphones. Mids are severely lacking. Treble is there, but it´s harsh and "dirty", not very pleasant to listen.

So T1 and LCD-2 are my favorites even with their shortcomings, I guess there are no perfect headphones... or are there?

Is LCD-3 or Stax SR-009 my next step along with amp upgrade??? (´Cause I´m running out of choises!) How would you describe these headphones, are they the missing link in my search for the GREAT FULL SOUND???

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I think that you have a problem with bass, 'cause HD800 and T1 have plenty of excellent bass.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 13
From a quick read, it seems you haven't tried any HiFiMan headphones. They get quite some praise in here, you should have a read of their higher end products like the HE-6 and the HE-500.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 13
I would have to agree you have a problem with bass, referred too around these parts as a bass head. The HD800 has excellent bass, very close to neutral, the T1 just a couple dB more. The D7000 on the other hand has over-the-top emphatic bass that discolors any music played through it, a fun sounding phone but very inaccurate.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 13
Thirded.

I find the HD-800's bass to be very slightly boosted.  Though it's close enough to neutral to enjoy.  The bass is deep, clean and tight.

The T1 is boosted.  Enough for me not to like it on acoustic works, but it sounds good with rock and electronic music.  I like it enough to buy one, maybe, if a good deal turns up on a used one.

Denons are way too boosted.  Fun for a song or two, but I couldn't own one.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm not experienced like these guys but the SR009 seems to be as close to "perfect" as it comes from all the reviews that keep coming out. Maybe you should check that out with the Woo Audio electrostatic amp or blue hawaii to compliment it. Assuming money is no issue.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 13
I think you guys saying that HD800 and T1 has plenty of bass are wrong. If you go to a professional studio with a great room, great speakers and a sub, you can CLEARLY hear the bass without sacrificing the treble and mids.

T1 bass is still somewhat ok, but the HD800 bass is a joke, there literally ain´t bass at all, it´s just pure treble torture.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 13
I agree with your assessment of the the D7000...not complaining though.
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 13
Need to focus more on the chain and less on the headphone.  I know it goes without saying, but that point is surprisingly underemphasized among folks looking at the heavy-hitter headphones.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Try the audio technica w1000x. To me they do everything right. No harsh treble, mids feels perfect, good soundstage and the bass is awesome: goes low, detailed and not some muddy mess. And there's nothing that overpowers the other (bass/mids/treble) either. I can enjoy frank sinatra, metallica, enya, coldplay, bonobo, trifonic, curtis mayfield, beastie boys, trance, dubstep etc etc (I listen to all kinds of music) on these, and I never feel like I should get another pair of headphones to do either mids/treble or bass better. With the other headphones I've tried (sony mdr f1+xb700+xb1000, audio technica m50+a900, beyerdynamic dt770 pro, ultrasone pro 2900) there's always been some music that has left me wanting more because the headphone hasn't done everything right. The w1000x hits the sweetspot, for me atleast.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 13
I've owned the 4 you mentioned, I currently have the LCD2 and T1...  Yes the HD800 is bass shy - the extension is not there and the highs are fatiguing so I sold them despite the great clarity/imaging/build quality ...  The D7K is a decent headphone but not in the same league as the other 3...  The T1 was the best all-rounder of the 4 for me though the LCD2 complements it well.  

...that said, I borrowed a friend's Stax O2 with a Woo GES and would have swapped all my gear for that...

Quote:
I think you guys saying that HD800 and T1 has plenty of bass are wrong. If you go to a professional studio with a great room, great speakers and a sub, you can CLEARLY hear the bass without sacrificing the treble and mids.

T1 bass is still somewhat ok, but the HD800 bass is a joke, there literally ain´t bass at all, it´s just pure treble torture.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Need to focus more on the chain and less on the headphone.  I know it goes without saying, but that point is surprisingly underemphasized among folks looking at the heavy-hitter headphones.

Boy I'll 2nd That! My HD-800's have plenty of Bass and a mid range to die for when the Amps that you use and your source is equally as good.....You never did say what you were using for an amp or as said above your "Chain" of equipment.... 
You also keep mentioning going to a professional studio with a great room, with great subs! I've never been in a Good recording studio that even used Subs, and yes I've been in more then a few in my day...... Most will tell you they're trying to get the mid range right so that their recordings will sound good on most home systems,(realistic sounding) unless it's Rap. They already know people who have to have unnatural Bass will crank up their subs or Tone controls......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back