Issues Burning Apple Lossless
post-1393344
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 5

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Posts
67
Likes
0
So... I tried burning Dark Side of the Moon in Apple Lossless (from iTunes and my QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242 Burner on a Dell 5150 laptop at the highest burn speed possible - that's a setting
) and when it's around track five of nine, it stops burning and displays an error message. I haven't tried switching media (from old TDK 16X, 650 mb, 74 min CD-R's) or any other programs but I don't feel like wasting any more CD-R's. Might it be a problem that I'm burning huge files at a high speed? Any ideas
? Thanks!

~ Brett
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394183
Post #2 of 5

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
2,890
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Posts
2,890
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrbelex
So... I tried burning Dark Side of the Moon in Apple Lossless (from iTunes and my QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242 Burner on a Dell 5150 laptop at the highest burn speed possible - that's a setting
) and when it's around track five of nine, it stops burning and displays an error message. I haven't tried switching media (from old TDK 16X, 650 mb, 74 min CD-R's) or any other programs but I don't feel like wasting any more CD-R's. Might it be a problem that I'm burning huge files at a high speed? Any ideas
? Thanks!

~ Brett



1) Are you burning a 16X CD at faster than 16X
2) What burning software are you using
3) What is the error message
4) Are you burning it as music or data, are you planning to play the CD on computer or a conventional CD player, is it in wav format ?
5) 700MB CDrs are about 20c each in bulk
7) Size is not an issue for files but speed may be (see 1), I routinely make backup copies of my own music Cds on a dell 5150 laptop with a 24X CDRW/DVD combo - not the same one as yours
8) Burnproofing turned on ?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394437
Post #3 of 5

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
12
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,955
Likes
12
I know its a pain to wait but drop it down to 8x or even better 4x. I bet you wont get any problems then. I had the same problems on an old HP external burner. I now burn at 2x and dont have any problems.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394863
Post #4 of 5

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Posts
67
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
1) Are you burning a 16X CD at faster than 16X


That may have been the problem. It was set on "Maximum Speed Possible" - whatever that means - I lowered it to 12 but given the advice below I may lower it again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
2) What burning software are you using


iTunes - newest version
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
3) What is the error message


An error occured while burning the disk - some numbers - not positive
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
4) Are you burning it as music or data, are you planning to play the CD on computer or a conventional CD player, is it in wav format ?


From iTunes... so music as MP3's I guess. Not files.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
5) 700MB CDrs are about 20c each in bulk


Haha - yea, more of a laziness issue but if it becomes a bigger issue, that will be one of the first things I change
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
7) Size is not an issue for files but speed may be (see 1), I routinely make backup copies of my own music Cds on a dell 5150 laptop with a 24X CDRW/DVD combo - not the same one as yours


Yea - I figured it wouldn't burn off the disk and iTunes checks to make sure it will all work out before it's burnt but I figured I'd provide you with all the facts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
8) Burnproofing turned on ?


No... What is it?

THANKS!

~ Brett
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395446
Post #5 of 5

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
2,890
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Posts
2,890
Likes
12
Most good CD burners support burnbroof or some variant - it is a facility that can be exploited by burning software. The software prevents bad burns ( in most cases).
When the CD burner read or write buffers empty - for instance when the burner is writing data faster than the hard drive can supply it there is nothing to write to the CD. When this happens the burn falls over in a heap.

With burnproofing the software does one of two things. If it detects a buffer is about to empty it slows the drive down so the burn speed is slower than the hard drive can send data so the buffers do not empty. The other thing it can do is mark the last bit written to the CD, stop the burn and fill the buffers again, then it resumes from the exact point it left off - neat huh.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top