Issues Burning Apple Lossless
May 23, 2005 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
So... I tried burning Dark Side of the Moon in Apple Lossless (from iTunes and my QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242 Burner on a Dell 5150 laptop at the highest burn speed possible - that's a setting
blink.gif
k1000smile.gif
) and when it's around track five of nine, it stops burning and displays an error message. I haven't tried switching media (from old TDK 16X, 650 mb, 74 min CD-R's) or any other programs but I don't feel like wasting any more CD-R's. Might it be a problem that I'm burning huge files at a high speed? Any ideas
confused.gif
? Thanks!

~ Brett

May 24, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrbelex
So... I tried burning Dark Side of the Moon in Apple Lossless (from iTunes and my QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242 Burner on a Dell 5150 laptop at the highest burn speed possible - that's a setting
blink.gif
k1000smile.gif
) and when it's around track five of nine, it stops burning and displays an error message. I haven't tried switching media (from old TDK 16X, 650 mb, 74 min CD-R's) or any other programs but I don't feel like wasting any more CD-R's. Might it be a problem that I'm burning huge files at a high speed? Any ideas
confused.gif
? Thanks!

~ Brett

1) Are you burning a 16X CD at faster than 16X
2) What burning software are you using
3) What is the error message
4) Are you burning it as music or data, are you planning to play the CD on computer or a conventional CD player, is it in wav format ?
5) 700MB CDrs are about 20c each in bulk
7) Size is not an issue for files but speed may be (see 1), I routinely make backup copies of my own music Cds on a dell 5150 laptop with a 24X CDRW/DVD combo - not the same one as yours
8) Burnproofing turned on ?

May 24, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 5
I know its a pain to wait but drop it down to 8x or even better 4x. I bet you wont get any problems then. I had the same problems on an old HP external burner. I now burn at 2x and dont have any problems.

May 25, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
1) Are you burning a 16X CD at faster than 16X

That may have been the problem. It was set on "Maximum Speed Possible" - whatever that means - I lowered it to 12 but given the advice below I may lower it again.
Quote:

2) What burning software are you using

iTunes - newest version
Quote:

3) What is the error message

An error occured while burning the disk - some numbers - not positive
Quote:

4) Are you burning it as music or data, are you planning to play the CD on computer or a conventional CD player, is it in wav format ?

From iTunes... so music as MP3's I guess. Not files.
Quote:

5) 700MB CDrs are about 20c each in bulk

Haha - yea, more of a laziness issue but if it becomes a bigger issue, that will be one of the first things I change
Quote:

7) Size is not an issue for files but speed may be (see 1), I routinely make backup copies of my own music Cds on a dell 5150 laptop with a 24X CDRW/DVD combo - not the same one as yours

Yea - I figured it wouldn't burn off the disk and iTunes checks to make sure it will all work out before it's burnt but I figured I'd provide you with all the facts
Quote:

8) Burnproofing turned on ?

No... What is it?

THANKS!

~ Brett

May 25, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Most good CD burners support burnbroof or some variant - it is a facility that can be exploited by burning software. The software prevents bad burns ( in most cases).
When the CD burner read or write buffers empty - for instance when the burner is writing data faster than the hard drive can supply it there is nothing to write to the CD. When this happens the burn falls over in a heap.

With burnproofing the software does one of two things. If it detects a buffer is about to empty it slows the drive down so the burn speed is slower than the hard drive can send data so the buffers do not empty. The other thing it can do is mark the last bit written to the CD, stop the burn and fill the buffers again, then it resumes from the exact point it left off - neat huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back