Issue with formatting 256micro sd card
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Anthony Campbell

Head-Fier
Hi Folks,
I'm going through a hell of a brain burp at the moment, and I keep having trouble formatting sd cards. I use ridgecorp fat 32 formatter, format the card and start to load up my flac files. When i get to around 30gb, I find that even though the all the Artist files are there, some of them start to show up as empty.
I know it must be something simple, but I'm having a real crappy time trying to remember things.
any help would be welcomed.
Regards

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 11
You know for a fact the card is genuine? If you have a fake card, it can appear to have the full capacity of a 256GB card, but it will only actually store files to its real capacity. So what you're describing could happen if your "256GB" card is actually a 32 GB card.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi,
I did buy it from ebay, and the packaging does look genuine, but on closer inspection the grey and red paint (sandisk ultra) is showing small sings of flacking. I might scrape it off to see whats written underneath, as what you say does make alarm bells ring

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi,
I did buy it from ebay, and the packaging does look genuine, but on closer inspection the grey and red paint (sandisk ultra) is showing small sings of flacking. I might scrape it off to see whats written underneath, as what you say does make alarm bells ring

Here's some tips on how to tell, including a test you can run:

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Identify-a-Fake-Samsung-Micro-SD-Memory-Car/

EDIT: Just noticed that's for Samsung cards and you have a Sandisk. Generally similar, but here's one not specifically for Samsung:

https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards#how-to-identify-a-fake-memory-card

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 11
I downloaded a barcode scanning app for my phone, tried it on random things to see if it works, it did, but when I scanned the cards packaging, it found nothing. It looks like I've been diddled. A quick email to the seller and see what they say. Thanks for your help in guiding me, as I'd be a bit lost.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 11
If you check the ebay rating and buy from shops with a lot of sales and ratings better than 99.8 you should be fine. Also check the comments for people saying they got fake cards. A price that is too low is a sure tip off.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 11
If the seller doesn't refund you eBay definitely should, so at least you probably won't be out any money in the end

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 11
If the seller doesn't refund you eBay definitely should, so at least you probably won't be out any money in the end
Agreed especially paypal is pretty much 100% when you can prove you got ripped off you get your money back quickly.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Morning,
Just a quick update. The seller apologized, refunded me, so I bought a Kingston 256gb from Scan. It was a little more expensive, but to load up around 150gb straight away with no problems makes it worth it. A lesson learnt I think.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 11
All's well that ends well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back