Israel Meet
May 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #63 of 100
  BTW, those speakers was from Raidho Acoustics (we listened to Raidho D-2)

Strange... When I was close to the speakers, I was sure sound was coming out from the speakers back to the Raidho Speakers. The ones were you only see the tweeter on the front, and the mids are on the side.. 

May 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #65 of 100
Thanks for posting the pics, and yes, it was real fun, we need to arrange these things more often, hopefully next time more people (Darkbeat, everyone was waiting for you, this is not cool) will come.

I'm sorry to everyone that I didn't pay you as much attention on your equipment :p It's hard going back when you get used to something better, Batou069 knows this :wink:

I would like to say that out of all of his headphones, well, I didn't like the Alessandro MS1, the NAD Viso HP50 was nice, very comfortable and light, but closed headphones for me are perhaps only good for portability for me, just like I said earlier, it's hard going back, that is why open headphones for me are always superior (I haven't heard any of the higher end closed headphones though). The Hifiman HE-400, I didn't get too much taste out of it, but it was good, actually perhaps reminds me somewhat of HD600.

Regarding the IEMs, definitely not my thing, I just can't deal with the tiny sound with no body, it's too much "in-ear" for me.

Regarding the iBasso DX90, I've heard a lot of distortion coming out from my ATH-M50 when I tried running it in, weird... and this is a very easy to drive headphone (My tablet works excellent with it, in fact I was listening to it on the train to and from the meet).

Anyway it was fun and I'm just silly :p

May 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #66 of 100
  Regarding the iBasso DX90, I've heard a lot of distortion coming out from my ATH-M50 when I tried running it in, weird... and this is a very easy to drive headphone (My tablet works excellent with it, in fact I was listening to it on the train to and from the meet).

After the Meet I saw that someone turned the EQ on, this is a no go on the DX90. It decreases the SQ by far. I guess the EQ was on when you listened to it. Also the gain was on high but this shouldn't be a problem.

I totally missed your M50, would have liked to listen to it.

I find it hard to evaluate gear when I don't listen to my music. I really liked the sound of the LCD2 and 3 but again, I find it hard to evaluate them on Music I hear for the first time. Hotel California Studio Edition is my reference Track :)

Mostly talked to people, had a good time.

Romanx74, when your wife will be mad on you for moving from Shure SE535 to SE846, don't blame me 
beerchug.gif

Chikolad, your amp impressed me. Did you order it online? This thing is really heavy, was certinaly no joyful ride with the VAT :)
I guess I'll wait for the Geek Pulse S femto to arrive, this should drive my HE-400 (or other future headphones) better then everything I have right now and supports all music formats..

BTW, too bad we didn't exchange some of our Files :) next time

May 2, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #67 of 100

Chikolad, your amp impressed me. Did you order it online? This thing is really heavy, was certinaly no joyful ride with the VAT :)
I guess I'll wait for the Geek Pulse S femto to arrive, this should drive my HE-400 (or other future headphones) better then everything I have right now and supports all music formats..

Thanks! Even though it has a stepped attenuator? :wink:  I didn't even realize you had a chance to listen to it. Yes, I ordered it online straight from the Burson website. I paid $990 for it, and then another ~900 NIS for VAT+FedEx fees. Not that bad if you ask me :) I thought I was going to pay 35% for customs but then it turned out to be just the 18% VAT.
I'll be very interested to hear your impressions from the Geek Pulse!

May 2, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #68 of 100

Thanks! Even though it has a stepped attenuator? :wink:  I didn't even realize you had a chance to listen to it. Yes, I ordered it online straight from the Burson website. I paid $990 for it, and then another ~900 NIS for VAT+FedEx fees. Not that bad if you ask me :) I thought I was going to pay 35% for customs but then it turned out to be just the 18% VAT.
I'll be very interested to hear your impressions from the Geek Pulse!

After some thinking, this stepped attenuator is really impressive :) Also the picture of this volume knob from the inside you showed me on the phone was not less impressive, damn this might be the best part of the whole amp lol I listened with my HE-400 trough your amp and liked how they drive them. The he-400 have only 35-37 ohms impedance and 92.5 DB efficiency so all I have bring them to loud enough volumes. But still, these are orthos and they love power. 

Not sure how much more time I need to wait for the Pulse, but I'll PM you and you'll be of course welcome to jump by to my place with your Audeze and to test the Pulse with them, and my he400 :)

May 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #69 of 100
  After some thinking, this stepped attenuator is really impressive :) Also the picture of this volume knob from the inside you showed me on the phone was not less impressive, damn this might be the best part of the whole amp lol I listened with my HE-400 trough your amp and liked how they drive them. The he-400 have only 35-37 ohms impedance and 92.5 DB efficiency so all I have bring them to loud enough volumes. But still, these are orthos and they love power. 

Not sure how much more time I need to wait for the Pulse, but I'll PM you and you'll be of course welcome to jump by to my place with your Audeze and to test the Pulse with them, and my he400 :)

What's good about the Soloist, besides having quite a lot of power and sounding great, is that with its gain switch it's versatile enough to support a wide variety of headphones and even sensitive iems. It has a very low noise floor (if you turn up the volume fully when there's no music playing you will hear some noise but not in any listenable volume).

And it's a date!

May 3, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #70 of 100
I've turned the EQ on on your DX90. EQ shouldn't degrade SQ but only to change it by emphasizing certain sound frequencies.  
With my DX50 (With Shure 535) I didn't succeed to reach the same SQ I have with HRT Microstreamer so I've tried to play with EQ. BTW EQ on DX50 isn't sensitive at all, and my setting gives the result which is pretty close to flat. I suppose that on DX90 is the same thing since it has the same software as DX50.

Anyway, I hope that next time I will have a chance to put the same test track on the internal memory of both players in order to switch between them quickly. In the meeting I've transferred the entire SD card and had to wait until the scan will end (2-3 min). Using this method it is difficult to compare.

May 3, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #71 of 100
I personally think EQ is "cheating" :)
Fixing something with EQ is like solving the symptom and not the problem. Plus, the EQ settings may sound better (to your preference) on one track and worse on another.
I want the reproduction my gear makes to be the closest to what was intended in the studio, without alterations.

May 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #72 of 100
  I personally think EQ is "cheating" :)
Fixing something with EQ is like solving the symptom and not the problem. Plus, the EQ settings may sound better (to your preference) on one track and worse on another.
I want the reproduction my gear makes to be the closest to what was intended in the studio, without alterations.

I also keep my foobar2000 EQ as flat, also believe that EQ is cheating.

Next purchase is Taurus mk2, if nothing better happens to come out, at about the same size/price.

May 12, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #73 of 100
I don't know about the DX50, but on the DX90 the moment you turn the EQ on, the whole volume goes down by 6 dB and even if I pump up the volume, I find the SQ to be less to my tasting. And I mean with the EQ untouched, just on.

May 12, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #74 of 100
  I don't know about the DX50, but on the DX90 the moment you turn the EQ on, the whole volume goes down by 6 dB and even if I pump up the volume, I find the SQ to be less to my tasting. And I mean with the EQ untouched, just on.

WIth DX50 is the same thing, so it's implementation and not the DAC chip. I don't know why iBasso has implemented like this. Anyway, if I use EQ, I use custom and rise all the bars 6dB (so +6dB is my flat when EQ is on) and start from here.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back