ISP Horror Stories or How Much You Hate Your ISP
Oct 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #16 of 26
 In Dubai, the provider is Etisalat. Somehow, whenever something goes wrong, it's your fault. Or, "oh, we don't know why, we'll try our best to fix it" (never do). Occasionally it will just drop out for 3 days.Kind of annoying, there's nothing you can do about it. It's just gone.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #17 of 26
Lol I guess I'm lucky. I'm paying approximately 40 USD for 100 Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up service. The TV is sucky since there is no real HD, but I barely use TV anyway nowadays.Internet part is great, I've had some trouble only once during last year, but it was when some douchy excavator worker broke some major cable. It was fixed pretty quickly though.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 26
Lol I guess I'm lucky. I'm paying approximately 40 USD for 100 Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up service. The TV is sucky since there is no real HD, but I barely use TV anyway nowadays.Internet part is great, I've had some trouble only once during last year, but it was when some douchy excavator worker broke some major cable. It was fixed pretty quickly though.

Who do you get internet from? Where are you located?

I Also hate caps! I could never put up with them, sure maybe I'm a power user but still I think caps are stupid and I would never pay for internet with a cap. I actually monitored how much internet I use every month for a year (using tomato firmware hack on router) I averaged 400GB transfer a month (includes up and down) my highest was 540GB and the lowest was 240GB A month.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Who do you get internet from? Where are you located?
I Also hate caps! I could never put up with them, sure maybe I'm a power user but still I think caps are stupid and I would never pay for internet with a cap. I actually monitored how much internet I use every month for a year (using tomato firmware hack on router) I averaged 400GB transfer a month (includes up and down) my highest was 540GB and the lowest was 240GB A month.

I live in Estonia and the internet provider is Elion. Thank god we don 't have any caps.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #20 of 26
I'm paying $130ish for ~36mbps/2mbps with 500GB download limit till we get shaped to like 256kbps. It's pretty much the best service I can get at the moment. It's not all that bad, I usually only hit 350GB per month or so. Australia is the land of caps/download limits.
tongue.gif

I remember 7ish years ago I had to live on 12GB per month!, I used to omnomnom it all in about two weeks downloading anime, at least Youtube wasn't so big back then.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #22 of 26
Ugh, Centurylink (Centurytel)... They're literally running a monopoly on our land, charging $40 a month for 180 kbps down and 30 kbps up... The real kicker here is if we lived a couple houses down, we would be able to get 50 mbps down and 10 mbps up for $20!!! Pisses me off every time I think about it...

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #23 of 26
I recall Verizon's DSL some years ago, where it would have an outage every 45 minutes-3 hours or so. Every day. Granted, they were short and the speed was decent (didn't bother testing but it's enough) and nowadays, it's gotten much more reliable. Last time it went down was due to a hurricane. That, I'll let slide because it's mother nature.

Otherwise, there's a few people I know that complain about how slow VZW's 3G service is...Yet I'm pulling 8mbits/s down/2mbits/s up on 3G? I'd say that's pretty darn good for just 3G.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Ah Cox Communications the greatest ISP ever. I pay $27 a month for what is supposed to be 18mbps but I actually get closer to 40 mbps. I have downloaded 3 gig files in less than 15min before. But then again they rape you with crappy and expensive TV and phone service. The worst company ever is time Warner thou I hate them every time I go to LA, in fact I wouldn't move back to LA just cause they suck so much and are like $100 more than what I pay in Vegas for much better service.

I have Cox as well, and the internet service is fine. We cut out our TV and phone service in favor of using Netflix through our broadband, which saves us loads of money, especially for someone like me who barely watches TV these days.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #25 of 26
Deutsche Telecom here, anyone living in germany will laugh right now. Those clowns still cannot write my name right, and I've been their customer for years. I correct it every time they send me anything, each time they epologize, say they'll fix it and its still wrong. It has been wrong since I handed the dumbass in their store my ID-card. Yes, thats right, they don't even get my name right. Their salesclown did not manage it to write down my name right, while looking at my ID-card. 

One other classic was their hardware. I plugged the ensemble together like it said in the manual - nothing worked. I started experimenting, until I found a combination that did - and was nothing like what their manual said. The blasted router overheated frequently and was a general pain until I bought another one and threw it away. To think I paid money for their piece of junk... 

The one thing I really, really hate them for is the contract period: every 24 months it is renewed to another 24 months. So I was pissed at them for a number of reasons, the biggest one being their ****ty hardware, and wanted to get rid of them... waited reluctantly until the time was up, stuffed a precisely phrased sheet into an envelope and sent it via certified mail to their HQ. The letter came back, with a stamp by the post-service: addressee would not sign. So they didn't want to sign that they got my ******* letter. Alright, so I marched to their store, listened to their clerk telling me he knew nothing, and got their local boss, who then proceeded to tell me the correct adress for the damn letter. Another certified mail, so the clowns couldn't tell me my letter did not arrive, and off it went again. A week later I got a reply, saying that I missed the "Three Moths Advance Period" to terminate my contract... basically I would have had to send the crap at least three months before the 24 months were up, and thus was stuck for another period, At that time I paid about 50€ a month for 2mbit, and other providers charged half for triple that speed. So I called their callcenter, one of these hellish monstrosities with waiting-music and "If you want to murder our operator, press one."... after spending quite a bit of money on listening to their idiots telling me they knew nothing and their ****ty music  (for 25 cents a minute) I finally got someone competent who told me I could upgrade my speed to a newer contract-system within their company. As that meant I would still pay more money than with other providers, but at least it was cheaper than the old one, I did, and now am in a new 24-months-trap.   

Conclusion: the whole provider-business is a rotten nightmare filled with incompetents and perfidious traps hidden behind footnotes in 2pt font at the edge of the universe. And the Deutsche Telecom, being a recently privatized company, is the king of them all. Whatever you do, avoid them.  

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
Deutsche Telecom here, anyone living in germany will laugh right now. Those clowns still cannot write my name right, and I've been their customer for years. I correct it every time they send me anything, each time they epologize, say they'll fix it and its still wrong. It has been wrong since I handed the dumbass in their store my ID-card. Yes, thats right, they don't even get my name right. Their salesclown did not manage it to write down my name right, while looking at my ID-card. 

One other classic was their hardware. I plugged the ensemble together like it said in the manual - nothing worked. I started experimenting, until I found a combination that did - and was nothing like what their manual said. The blasted router overheated frequently and was a general pain until I bought another one and threw it away. To think I paid money for their piece of junk... 

The one thing I really, really hate them for is the contract period: every 24 months it is renewed to another 24 months. So I was pissed at them for a number of reasons, the biggest one being their ****ty hardware, and wanted to get rid of them... waited reluctantly until the time was up, stuffed a precisely phrased sheet into an envelope and sent it via certified mail to their HQ. The letter came back, with a stamp by the post-service: addressee would not sign. So they didn't want to sign that they got my ******* letter. Alright, so I marched to their store, listened to their clerk telling me he knew nothing, and got their local boss, who then proceeded to tell me the correct adress for the damn letter. Another certified mail, so the clowns couldn't tell me my letter did not arrive, and off it went again. A week later I got a reply, saying that I missed the "Three Moths Advance Period" to terminate my contract... basically I would have had to send the crap at least three months before the 24 months were up, and thus was stuck for another period, At that time I paid about 50€ a month for 2mbit, and other providers charged half for triple that speed. So I called their callcenter, one of these hellish monstrosities with waiting-music and "If you want to murder our operator, press one."... after spending quite a bit of money on listening to their idiots telling me they knew nothing and their ****ty music  (for 25 cents a minute) I finally got someone competent who told me I could upgrade my speed to a newer contract-system within their company. As that meant I would still pay more money than with other providers, but at least it was cheaper than the old one, I did, and now am in a new 24-months-trap.   

Conclusion: the whole provider-business is a rotten nightmare filled with incompetents and perfidious traps hidden behind footnotes in 2pt font at the edge of the universe. And the Deutsche Telecom, being a recently privatized company, is the king of them all. Whatever you do, avoid them.  

wow, I can't imagine things like this happening in a country like Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back